Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Dez's Favorite 100 Rock/Pop Records, #'s 80-76

GNABB Programming Note: Since this Friday falls on the 4th, I figured nobody would be checking their computers. So, You get this week's installment a little early. We will return to Fridays next week. Tomorrow you'll get a 4th of July treat.

What about those records that defy easy genre categorization? Is Stevie Ray Vaughan blues? Rock? Blues/rock? It is a judgment call, but I generally decide by the dominant style displayed on the record. Stevie Ray Vaughan’s records are really blues albums with rock and roll elements or a couple of rock songs thrown in…but they are blues records. So, SRV’s Couldn’t Stand the Weather doesn’t qualify for the list, although it is a favorite record of mine. Ditto for Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers on Gilded Palace of Sin. Sure it has some rock elements and influenced lots of rock artists, but it is really a country record.

80. Steely Dan – Can’t Buy a Thrill, 1972
I know Dan fans prefer the records that came after their debut, but this is the one I go back to the most. The wry, sophisticated lyrics and gleaming studio perfection were in place from the beginning. #80 features three of their catchiest hits: the groovy samba “Do It Again”, “Dirty Work” and “Reeling in the Years”, which features some of the tastiest guitar licks of the 70’s courtesy of session great “Skunk” Baxter. Steely Dan were ostensibly a band, but they were always really just Donald Fagen and Walter Brecker and their army of ace L.A. session musicians. While many rock fans criticize the use of studio guns for hire (it somehow lacks DIY rock credibility, and I must admit, more often than not, it creates rather soulless product), Fagen/Brecker made an art out of hand picking the penultimate professionals for their Steely Dan albums and really got the best out of these studio mercenaries. Dan's jazz leanings would become more pronounced on subsequent releases, but it is still detectable here.

79. Yes – The Yes Album, 1971
It wasn’t until their third record that Yes found their sound. I know most fans would pick the next two releases as quintessential Yes (and it is hard to argue against Fragile or Close to the Edge), but I’ve always enjoyed this one from their classic period. They move into the full complexity of their prog rock glory, but are still somewhat rooted in rock and roll vs. getting into the overblown concept pieces of later years. Part of that is due to the presence of Tony Kaye on organ instead of the more celebrated and self-indulgent Rick Wakeman (who would join the line-up on the next release). Yes staples “Yours Is No Disgrace”, “Starship Trooper” and “I’ve Seen All Good People” are all here. The complexity of those first two songs is matched by a thrilling drive, surprises, shifting tempos and changing moods at every turn. I am always a bit surprised at how little recognition Chris Squire gets as a bassist and Steve Howe gets as a guitarist. Both prove to be masters of their instruments here.

78. Santana – Santana III, 1971
This is the greatest line-up of the revolving door band that is centered around the guitar playing prowess of Carlos Santana. Keyboard wizard and vocalist Gregg Rollie is still on board, but what makes this such a great record is the addition of second guitarist Neal Schon (both Rollie and Schon would soon leave Santana to form Journey). In Schon, Carlos found a worthy guitar foil, and these two titans of the axe spar and trade licks on a record that is a guitar player’s nirvana. Over half of the record is comprised of latin-propulsed instrumental jams that boil over into six string maelstroms. “Batuka”, “Toussaint L’Overture”, “Guajira”, “Jungle Strut” and “Para Los Rumberos” all burn. “No One To Depend On” is a favorite groovy hit, “Taboo” is an eerie change of mood, “Everybody’s Everything” was a surprise pop hit, and Carlos himself even takes a rare lead vocal on the catchy “Everything’s Coming Our Way”. Abraxas may get the vote from most critics, but for my money, Santana III is the peak from Santana’s most accomplished era.

77. Prince – Purple Rain, 1984
The Purple One’s pop/rock masterpiece was a seminal record of the 1980’s. #77 has tantalizing tastes of rock, R&B, dance, funk, avant-garde…but most importantly, it is flawless pop music of the highest order. It is rare these days to find a black artist who views himself primarily as a rock and roll performer, but that is what Prince was on this album. He decides to add “guitar hero” to his list of accomplishments on his ever expanding resume. People don’t often realize what a great guitarist he is. Good arguments include the killer break in “Let’s Go Crazy” or the majestic solo in the title track. “When Doves Cry” is a remarkable hit single, as it does not have a bass line in it at all! Very innovative and daring, and one critic called it the most avant-garde hit single in pop history (it reached #1). When I was a kid, I thought “Darling Nikki” was the dirtiest song in the world.


ABOVE: The peak of Prince's output

76. Rod Stewart – It Had To Be You: The Great American Songbook…JUST KIDDING, actually…

76. Rod Stewart – Every Picture Tells a Story, 1971

There once was a time, a long time ago in a galaxy far away, when Rod Stewart was not a cheesy pop star or schmaltzy lazy interpreter of standards. There was a time when Rod Stewart was a gritty, hard living, rocker. This is the Rod that I try and remember. Rod’s partnership with guitarist Ron Wood produced a series of outstanding records in the early 70’s (both with the Faces and under the ‘Rod Stewart’ banner), and this one was the peak of that collaboration. The title track is a thrilling tale of jet setting and fast living, while the tender “Mandolin Rain” and “Reason To Believe” are perfect contrast. The big hit was “Maggie May” (perhaps his most famous song). He even throws in down and dirty covers of the Temptations classic “I’m Losing You” and Elvis’ “That’s Alright”. The sound of this record (and his others recorded around this time) is a perfect hybrid, they rock hard but the instrumentation is largely acoustic. #76 is one of the best and most seamless blends of rock, soul and folk I’ve come across. If you are not familiar with this Rod Stewart of yore, check it out and you will be pleasantly surprised. And then saddened at how his career subsequently developed after such promise (starting out as lead singer of the groundbreaking but short-lived Jeff Beck Group, then with the awesome Faces and his first exciting years as a solo artist…he could have been one of the greats if he had stayed on track). Stewart’s Achilles Heel has been that he is not much of a songwriter, and so he often depends on others to supply the material (although, he wrote or co-wrote the three best songs on #76).

20 comments:

JMW said...

You start to lose me in this installment with the classic rock. Yes. Santana. Steely Dan. Yawn.

But Purple Rain. Yes. Of course.

And despite my classic rock teasing above, I like Every Picture quite a bit...

But mostly I want to say how much I enjoy the way you start each new post with a note about the overall process and albums in general. I might try to emulate that, but it seems like it would be hard to keep up the way you do. Good work.

pockyjack said...

I know that musical taste is always going to be somewhat relative, but it astonishes me how anyone can like the Dan. I just don't get it. It always seems like I am at the buffet at the Holiday Inn when I listen to those guys. I don't even think they are pop or rock, but . . . . I dunno . . .is crap an official category?

And, like jmw said, you are starting to lose me on this list. Every incarnation I have ever seen of this list starts off the same: a few daring, independent thoughts from 100 to 80, then as we get into the meat of the list, it ends up with some of the best of generic classic rock, interrupted only by bits and pieces of nostalgia from middle school.

I want to see some albums that I have never heard of. Something that challenges me and makes me want to explore. Not a list I get from listen to the classic rock 100on KLOL on New Years eve that always ends up with Led Zeppelin as #1.

I exaggerate of course. I enjoy getting under your skin because I know you can take it. I actually do appreciate these lists and I thoroughly enjoy your analysis.

Dezmond said...

I appreciate the compliments. Don't worry, Pocky, I have some more obscure stuff coming up. It ain't all classic rock. But, you know, when it comes down to it, you love what you love. And I love me a big dose 60's and 70's big guitars. But I've got plenty of obscure choices ahead, no worries.

Dezmond said...

And the flip side of Pocky's "Beetles" rule: you shouldn't avoid the obvious choices, if in fact, you indeed love them. You shouldn't purposely make your list obscure just to look hip.

pockyjack said...

I don't think it is a question of being hip, but rather of breadth. Some of my favorite music are from regional acts that I listened to when I lived on the east coast that never saw the light of day. I would just be disappointed if any list was just a reshuffling of top 25 list from Rolling Stone Magazine. A true muic lover would seek out the obscure.

Dezmond said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You guys got me all paranoid, so I went back and looked over my full list, and I think each week from here on out includes some more obscure or more recent artists. I didn't change anything, mind you, but just looked it over.

JMW, you yawn, but have you actually listened to any one of those three albums? I'm telling you, 'Santana III' is an exhilerating listen.

Pocky, I have found people have very strong feelings about Steely Dan, one way or the other. You are not the only friend of mine who despises them. But I've got some other friends who think they are one of the greatest bands ever. I know ANCIANT (and his brother) are big Dan fans.

We jest, but I do struggle with that having the list be too obvious. But like I said, don't worry. I doubt Rolling Stone would include The Tragically Hip, Pete Yorn, Love, Los Lobos, Big Star or Men At Work all within their Top 50.

Dezmond said...

And another thing, dammit. Since this is a rock/pop list, that does preclude me from throwing in cool jazz records, obscure folk and country gems, and authentic killer blues records...all of which I love and would otherwise throw in. So the high quotient of classic rock, naturally, gets more play here. And, well shit, 'Santana III', 'The Yes Album' and 'Can't Buy a Thrill' all kick ass!

pockyjack said...

"The Tragically Hip, Pete Yorn, Love, Los Lobos, Big Star or Men At Work"

with the exception of Pete Yorn (MAAAAAYYBE), and Love, any of the others are not surprising. Great bands, mind you. But I dunno . . .

Dezmond said...

Pocky, you had never heard of Big Star until I told you about them.

JMW said...

I actually don't care about obscure/not-obscure, as long as they're YOUR favorite 100 albums, which I think they are. So that's fine.

I'll admit to never listening to those albums. But I have heard each of those bands. And I respect them. I'm just giving you grief, as always.

As you can tell from Johnny Cash, though, I'm including country artists on my list. There aren't many, obviously, but they'll be on there.

Anonymous said...

Dez, your choices are spot on. Don't take any guff from critics who want you to pick more obscure albums. Perhaps some of your readers fail to appreciate the fact that, not uncommonly, albums of very high quality receive a lot of play.

I'm delighted by the Yes and the Steely Dan picks. 'Can't Buy a Thrill' is certainly the least aggressively studio-polished of the Dan's albums, which explains why it made your list. I can only assume two more are coming. But how to choose between Aja, Countdown to Ecstasy, Gaucho, Katy Lied, and The Royal Scam (I will leave out the slightly below par 'Pretzel Logic').

You will also be happy to know that I bought Thomas Dolby's 'The Flat Earth' on your recommendation and my Amazon cart is filling up.

Dezmond said...

Awesome, Saxo. That always makes me happy when these silly lists actually inspire some purchases and exploration.

I am a Dan fan, definitely, but I am afraid that 'Can't Buy a Thrill' is my favorite of theirs, hence that is all of the Dan you will see. I've got all of their stuff and really like it all, though.

pockyjack said...

"Perhaps some of your readers fail to appreciate the fact that, not uncommonly, albums of very high quality receive a lot of play."

I almost exclusively listen to Satellite Radio. The other day I had to bring my car in for service and was forced to listen to the regular radio for the first time in over two years. After that experience, I can pretty much assert that the above statement is just not true.

JMW said...

I agree with pockyjack, having just had a large dose of radio myself over the holiday weekend. Sweet lord.

Also, Steely Dan is rock music for microwaves.

Dezmond said...

"Rock music for microwaves". That sounds like an interesting and witty comment, but I have no idea what it means.

JMW said...

It means that microwaves would really enjoy listening to Steely Dan, if they could listen.

Dezmond said...

But what about Steely Dan's music would particularly appeal to microwaves? I still don't understand.

JMW said...

I'm saying that their music is coldly mechanical. Have we parsed this enough?

Dezmond said...

Now I understand. I would call it "sophisticated".

pockyjack said...

Yeh, I had no idea what that meant either but it honestlymade me laugh out loud. I also agree with your analysis of the Dan