Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

What a month. I figured I’d take a break from the important stuff (music, movies, USA For Africa) and talk about life on a smaller scale. My wife and I both had dramatic changes in our work lives. She left her old law firm for a new one, getting a decent raise in the process. Cool.

I’ve been kind of drifting for awhile now. I am an attorney, but I’ve been on my own for almost a year doing contract work vs. working for any firm. There are many attorneys who make a decent living doing just that, but it’s not for me. Being an attorney full time is really not for me, to be honest. My wife is great at it, in part because she really enjoys doing it. I never enjoyed doing it.

So, I got a position teaching Government and Debate (that’s where the law degree comes in handy) at a great high school here in San Antonio. I couldn’t be happier. I taught high school before going off to law school, but ever since I left, I often thought back to how much I enjoyed it. So, my plan is to teach, and then continue to do a little legal work on the side for some extra cash. I much prefer doing law part time when I want to vs. doing it full time because I have to.

Toby – (see here and here for previous Toby posts) is not doing so good. He took a turn for the worse earlier this week, his little kidneys just can’t do the job, and Monday we were minutes away from putting him down. I mean, standing-in-the-vet’s-office-looking-over-papers-as-to-what-to-do-with-his-remains close. But we are trying one last ditch intensive round of treatments. And before you lecture me on putting him through unecessary pain and suffering, the type of kidney problems he is having is not painful. If he were in pain (or when he starts having pain), we're done. But right now he is just low energy and very tired. I go to the vet a couple of times a day and hang out with him. He seems appreciative. So, send out some more prayers or thoughts or good vibes or whatever his way, and let's hope that we don't have a new GNABB obituary post any time soon.

OK. We’ll get back to the politics, music, astute cultural observations, movies, true stories of the Canadian military, etc. next time! By the way, I have my original USA For Africa LP, and in it is an order form for USA For Africa T-shirts, bandanas, and other paraphernalia. The photos with the models are priceless, 80’s hairstyles and fashions to the extreme. I was thinking of sending off for a T-shirt. Think they’d still send one?

-Dez

2 comments:

pockyjack said...

So where are you teaching?

Remember, when you teach debate you have to teach debate. Not just sit around a dark room smoking cigars and discussing the finer points of Boz Scaggss Lido Shuffle.

(Whoa ohhh ah ooohhh ooohhhhh ooohhh)

Johannes said...

Congratulations on the job Dez. I think you'll be very happy molding young minds. I can see you being great at that. You'll be their cool teacher who is easily diverted into talking about how under-appreciated Lindsey Buckingham is. Do you really get summers off?

It's sad about Toby, but I have tremendous admiration for the way you're handling it, and I know the little guy appreciates it too. You'll at least go to dog Heaven.