Sunday, May 3, 2009

Round 2

Round 1 of the NBA Playoffs was quite exciting. First things first, how did Dez’s predictions come out?

• Dez: Lakers would sweep Utah. Outcome: Lakers, 4-1.
• Dez: Denver beat New Orleans in 6. Outcome: Nuggets, 4-1.
• Dez: San Antonio over Dallas in 7. Outcome: Dallas, 4-1.
• Dez: Portland over Houston in 7. Outcome: Houston, 4-2.
• Dez: Cleveland over Detroit in 5. Outcome: Cleveland, 4-0.
• Dez: Boston over Chicago in 6. Outcome: Boston, 4-3.
• Dez: Orlando over Philadelphia in 6. Outcome: Orlando, 4-2.
• Dez: Atlanta over Miami in 7. Outcome: Atlanta, 7.

Not too bad. I got 6 victors out of 8, and I wasn’t too far off on some of the games. A few thoughts on the first round before moving on to Round 2. The Nuggets beat The Hornets by 58 points in New Orleans. Wow. People will continue to underestimate the Nuggets at their own peril. San Antonio had less in their tank than I thought, and Dallas is better than they showed most of the season. I am so glad that I was wrong on the Portland/Houston series. And all the sweeter that Houston advanced to the second round for the first time this century without Tracy McGrady on the floor. I hope that you got to watch some of the Boston-Chicago series. That was epic. A record total of six overtimes.

Now with my revised predictions going forward…

EAST

Cleveland beats Atlanta in 5 games. Boston vs. Orlando is tough, because Orlando can be mediocre or great on any given night. I would like to see Orlando advance because I do not like the Celtics, but now I’m saying Boston in 6.

Then in the East Finals it will be Cleveland over Boston in 6.

WEST

Lakers over Houston in 5. Denver over Dallas in 6.

In the West Finals, Lakers over Denver in 5.

FINALS: This is now tougher to call than it was in the beginning. I still say Lakers, but it goes 7 games.


ABOVE: Ron Artest of The Rockets will do his best to guard Kobe Bryant

6 comments:

pockyjack said...

I complain a lot about the NBA, but it does not hold a candle for boredom and pointless endlessness to the NHL. I think their playoffs have been going on for about 4 months now. And I think they are only in the second round.

Please make it end!

driessa said...

Dez,

I agree that 6 out of 8 victors is not bad, but you have to admit you played it very safe in the 1st round by picking the home team in every single match-up. It looks like you've taken the same approach in the 2nd round. Where are the upsets?

Dezmond said...

Good point, I hadn't noticed that. I look at each match-up and go with what I think will happen.

dre said...

How about them Rockets? Keep picking against them, Dez. That seems to help motivate them.

By the way, driessa was really dre. Somehow I typed the word verification as my name.

Dezmond said...

As happy as I was about the Rockets victory...the Lakers will beat the Rockets.

JMW said...

Seven overtimes, Dez, not six. Epic indeed.

I'll defend the safety of your picks. The NBA isn't really built for upsets. Home court matters more than any other sport, I think. I love how you keep picking against your own team and they keep beating your expectations. The Lakers are soft!