Sunday, May 31, 2009

NBA Finals

Well...this is why I'm not paid to talk about basketball, because obviously I do not know what I am talking about. Although, many people who are paid to talk about basketball predicted the same thing I did - that Cleveland would win a championship.

The two conference finals that just ended were both much more exciting than the 4-2 records indicate. With a little more maturity and poise at certain moments, I think that Denver could have prevailed. They will be fun to watch next season. But the way Orlando completely manhandled Cleveland was pretty shocking. It is true that Orlando is Cleveland's worst match-up nightmare. Orlando was always in control of that series. Lebron is clearly the most talented player on the planet, but he needs some serious help in Cleveland. With this loss, it makes 2010 and the question of where Lebron decides to play much more interesting. I am happy that Orlando won because I am a bigger fan of team basketball vs. superstar dominated basketball. As a team, Cleveland deserved to go no further. I wonder if the NBA will still run those premature, annoying Kobe/Lebron commercials. Poor David Stern.

So, we have a Lakers vs. Orlando finals. I hope Orlando wins, I really like their play, but my prediction is now: Lakers win the championship in 6 games.

1 comment:

JMW said...

I'm rooting hard for Orlando, too.

After they won 66 games, and swept their first two playoff series, I was obviously ready to admit that Cleveland was for real, but I still wondered how the hell they did it. Without LeBron, that is a bad team. Not average, bad. When Jordan was winning 70 games with the Bulls, he had Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc, etc.

To say Orlando was a bad matchup for them sounded like one of those talk-radio cliches until you watched the games, and then you realized how absolutely true it was -- they had no one the class of Howard to battle him in the post, and Orlando has five or six guys who can kill you from the perimeter if you double Howard. (Or even if you don't, because Lewis and Turkoglu and Pietrus all had height advantages over the guys normally guarding them...)

I think Denver was the most deeply talented of the four left, but they were also by far the most deeply stupid.