Friday, June 29, 2012

Song #22

Title: "Light My Fire"
Artist: The Doors
Album: The Doors, 1967
Written By: The Doors

Most Doors-haters focus their disdain on Jim Morrison's childish antics and bad high school poetry lyrics. But they really miss what is great about the band. It is the other three guys. Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger and John Densmore were able to create a unique and fascinating musical backdrop behind Morrison. Jim Morrison is really beside the point for me. I'd like to be cool and pick a more obscure Doors tune ("Peace Frog," "Roadhouse Blues"), but it was their biggest hit that first grabbed me and still does. Again, the greatness of the tune comes after Morrison steps aside and Manzarek and Krieger play their extended solos to a mesmerizing groove. What great solos that build on eachother.


1 comment:

Subliminal Gary said...

A brave pick, Ray, and I commend you for it. As much as I hero-worshipped The Doors growing up, I don't know that I could put any of their songs on my top XX list, but you defend your choice well.

This was the first of your top 24 that I was familiar with and I was nervous that much of the whole list would be outside of my music catalog.

Well played.