Saturday, June 21, 2008

One Step Closer to 'Life on Mars'

Looks like one of three essential ingredients (water, organic carbon and an energy source) to life as we know it has been found on Mars. (See my original post on the Phoenix mission to Mars). The Phoenix lander discovered ice about two inches deep in a hole dug by the lander's robotic arm.


ABOVE: In the left picture, lower left of the hole, you will see some white specks. In the next picture, taken later, the specks are gone. This leads scientists to believe that ice was uncovered and then vaporized once it was uncovered. Then why didn't the ice at the top of the hole melt also? Don't ask me, I'm no scientist

The Phoenix is now analyzing soil samples for evidence of carbonates and sulfates, which are formed by the action of liquid water. The real question is whether there is or was water in liquid form somewhere on the planet. The channels carved into the surface of Mars suggest liquid on the surface at one time.

So technically, finding the ice is the first step in finding proof of the first element, which is liquid water.

Anyway, I find all of this exciting. Like I said before, if we can find reasonable evidence that the elements for life are or were present on Mars, that means two separate worlds in our little solar system have potential for life. Therefore, the odds would be that "life" is not all that unusual throughout the cosmos.

19 comments:

Caterina said...

if we consider the statistics, there are dozens of other "earths" in our big universe. it would be amazing find the real proves! :-D

Unknown said...

It would be amazing to find the real proves, Caterina.

But, really, what more proves do you need than some ice in a hole?

Caterina said...

You're right, but to say that there is "life" we have at least to find some kind of bacterium or similar. It's true that everything begins from the water, so who knows... :-)

pockyjack said...

This may be the best proves ever? With real!

Unknown said...

I wouldn't jump the gun there, Pocky. I'm thinking Caterina may be correct. The ice in the hole is certainly the beginning of the proves. But, the real proves (which no one will be able to find the denies for) may be yet to come.

Dezmond said...

You guys are dicks. Ignore them Caterina.

JMW said...

Commenters could click on Caterina's name and realize that she's a med student in Italy. So until you guys start commenting on blogs written in Italian, I'd hold off on the fun.

pockyjack said...

See, this is where you and i disagree

Unknown said...

Woah, Dez! I think Pocky and I both essentially agree with Caterina. At first, when you showed me that ice in that hole, I was ready to accept that there must be life on every surface in this universe solid enough to stand on. However, Caterina brings up a really good point. Maybe we shouldn't get carried away until we find something a little more substantial.

Perhaps, it is you who are being the dick?

Unknown said...

I'm confused by your comment, jmw. (Of course, being a Yankees fan, that's probably understandable).

I checked out Caterina's profile from the very beginning, but I didn't see anything that would discredit what she has to say. You're not suggesting that I should give Dez's opinion more weight than Caterina's, simply because he is American and much older, are you?

I sincerely hope not, because that's the sort of thing that gives Americans a bad name. Personally, I think Caterina makes a lot of sense.

Unknown said...

Non pagano alcuna attenzione a loro, Caterina. Essi sono ostinato nei loro pareri. Credo che lei abbia diritto di equilibrio con il vostro entusiasmo un po 'di cauto ottimismo.

Caterina said...

Wow! Sorry guys, I didn't mean to create so many confusion and disagreement! I'm just saying that the ice/water is the beggining for a research of life, but it's not a concrete proof, because water is a molecule and what we call life is more that a molecule. Anyway water is the point of start for the life, so I hope we can find what comes next and then say for sure "Life on Mars" does exist! Because I believe it. Maybe not in Mars, or maybe not in our solar system, but somewhere in the universe it does.

I didn't get very well the part where you point out the fact that I'm italian, but whatever...I apologize if I wrote something wrong...
Ciao :-D

Caterina said...

Great italian by the way, Walter Evans! Almost feel at home! :-D

Unknown said...

Don't worry about it at all, Caterina! We all grew up together, so we tend to create many, many confusion and disagreement all the time.

I think you're absolutely correct, and (secretly) Dez does too. He just gets overly excited about things, and tends to be a bit impatient.

As for jmw's comment about you being Italian, I didn't get that very well, either. I think everyone's opinion is valid, regardless of their nationality.

JMW said...

I'm just a Yankees fan, your honor. Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes when I fly to Europe on the Concorde, I wonder, am I inside some sort of giant bird? Am I gonna be digested? I don't know, because I'm a Yankees fan, and that's the way I think.

Unknown said...

We know, jmw, but it's ok. You're among friends. We are here to help.

pockyjack said...

You have to understand that Dez is part Ethiopian, so he has some ingrained prejudices dating back to the second world war. Ignore him. He means no harm.

Dezmond said...

Well, I'm glad all of that is settled.

Dezmond said...

Oh, and thanks for reading, Caterina! I'm glad that GNABB has a burgeoning international audience.