Friday, June 27, 2008

Dez's 100 Favorite Rock/Pop Records, #85-81

To catch up on what's happened so far, check out #100-96 and intro, #95-91, and #90-86. Some quick stats: 77 different artists fill out the 100 slots. Out of those 77 artists, 33 are currently members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. There are 7 artists who max out with the three allowed selections. So far (including today) you have seen 2 of those 7 maxed-out artists once already.

85. The Grateful Dead – American Beauty, 1970
The Dead’s reputation as a stoner live band and the accompanying lifestyle prevent some listeners who would otherwise be naturally disposed towards them from actually checking out some of their better studio material. That is a real shame, because #85 is a gorgeous record of Americana, every bit as good as the best of The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Uncle Tupelo or Ryan Adams. The Dead moved from the psychedelic noodling of their previous efforts to acoustic, folk-based, tight songwriting on #85 and its immediate predecessor and companion piece, Workingman’s Dead. This is their best batch of songs. Opening with the luminous “Box of Rain” (probably my favorite Dead tune), they progress through a survey of American folk, blues, country and rock musical textures, punctuated throughout by Jerry Garcia’s tasty guitar licks (but very few solos here). Also featured is the oft covered “Friend of the Devil”, perennial Deadhead favorite “Sugar Magnolias”, the acoustic beauty “Ripple”, and their biggest radio hit (before the freak success of “Touch of Grey”), the autobiographical “Truckin’”, which features their most famous lyric: “What a long, strange trip it’s been.” Sometimes a record is indelibly linked to a memory. Back in my high school days, my buddy Eric and I took a road trip from Texas to Colorado. Eric brought along a cassette copy of American Beauty, and to this day when I listen to this music I can still vividly recall crossing the Colorado state line to the opening chords of “Box of Rain”, cruising down the highway with the mountains in the background, the windows down and that Rocky Mountain air blowing through the car. Good music, good friends, the open road…it doesn’t get much better than that.


Above: The Grateful Dead’s American Beauty is one of those perfect road trip albums

84. Crosby, Stills & Nash – Crosby, Stills & Nash, 1969
Some days I prefer their more disparate follow-up with Neil Young, Deja Vu, but I generally give the edge to the debut because it is the most pure distillation of their strengths and cohesion. Never have the harmonies been tighter. #84 is essentially a showcase for Stephen Stills, who played all the instruments (except some drums), mixed the whole thing, and wrote the majority and best songs. Nash’s three tunes here are negligible and are uniformly the weakest parts of the record, he would contribute more substantive material on future releases. Crosby’s arresting “Guinevere” has some unique and rich harmonic tones, while “Long Time Gone” is the hardest rocking song on the record. But it is Stills who consistently delivers the goods: the classic and complex “Suite: Judy Blue Eyes”, the groovy “49 Bye Byes”, and the acoustic gems “You Don’t Have To Cry” and “Helplessly Hoping”. Also, “Wooden Ships” (co-written by Stills and Crosby with Jefferson Airplane’s Paul Kantner) serves as one of the great hippie anthems. There is a sonic purity to their chemistry here that would never be recaptured.

83. Devo – Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!, 1978
Devo’s debut remains one of the most unique and tightest records of the New Wave era. To these ears, it outdoes anything by the more celebrated Talking Heads. Full of herky jerky rhythms and paranoid lyrics, they espouse their de-evolution theories to the hilt; best on “Mongoloid” and manifesto “Jocko Homo”. Opener “Uncontrollable Urge” explodes from the speakers and is catchy as hell, as is the crescendo of “Gut Feeling (Slap Your Mammy)”. Ironically, the most Devo-like song here is their deconstruction of The Rolling Stones’ “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”, where they turn it into a tense, robotic piece of paranoia and frustrated brilliance. This is punk music for freaks and geeks, with its focus on odd philosophies of “de-evolution”, sci-fi cheese, cynical views of society, and an overall frustration bathed in wit and humor. Unfortunately, they would never come close to matching their debut.


Above: Devo’s debut is punk music for freaks and geeks

And speaking of the Stones…

82. The Rolling Stones – Beggar’s Banquet, 1968
The Stones dive head first into their most decadent phase with this fan favorite. We all know the sinister samba of “Sympathy For the Devil” and the ambiguous call to arms of “Street Fighting Man”, but the rest is just as great. “Stray Cat Blues” is one of their most sleazy tunes, laid down on a nasty groove:

“I can see that you’re fifteen years old
No, I don’t want your I.D….
You say you got a friend, she’s wilder than you
Well, why don’t you bring her upstairs”

They also mastered the acoustic side of things, mixing elements of country and blues brilliantly in their ragged brew with the melancholy “No Expectations” and the gritty acoustic stomp of “Parachute Woman”. #82 was the beginning of a hitting streak of albums that is still unmatched in rock.

81. Dave Matthews Band – Under the Table and Dreaming, 1994
DMB has the most annoying fans (yes, more irritating concert experiences). I admire their dedication, but I am irritated by their lack of context. DMB fans go on and on about how the band is the greatest jam band in history, the most gifted improvisers in all of rock. That is just not the case. Ever listened to The Allman Brothers Band, people? Bela Fleck & the Flecktones? Also, Matthews is an embarrassing lyricist, but fortunately he sings in such an incoherent manner that you usually can just ignore what he is trying to say. Finally, Leroi Moore (sax) and Boyd Tinsley (violin) are mediocre soloists. So, why the hell do I have their record on my list? Matthews is a gifted and intricate guitar player, and the band as a whole creates dynamic sounds and locks into killer grooves. Carter Beauford is the best drummer playing today this side of Stewart Copeland. In fact, his intricate and tasteful playing reminds me quite a bit of Copeland. “Ants Marching”, “The Best of What’s Around” and “Satellite” were all over the radio in the mid-90’s and really stood apart from everything else at the time. “Warehouse”, “Lover Lay Down” and the trippy “Dancing Nancies” are also very distinctive tunes.

10 comments:

JMW said...

I should get that Dead album. I'm one of those people who's been kept away for stupid reasons. I know several of those songs you listed, and like all of them.

The Stones, believe it or not, might not make my list. I like them a lot. I just never got into them through albums. Even Hot Rocks isn't definitive enough for me -- my ideal Stones album is one that I would make (have made) myself.

I have that Devo record, and love it.

I'm surprised DMB made your list, but that is a good record. They're unfairly maligned, I think, even though I don't listen to them much anymore.

Dezmond said...

I think you would dig 'American Beauty' as well as its predecessor 'Workingman's Dead'. I am a bit surprised at the possible omission of the Stones from your alleged list. In my view, any self-respecting list of great rock records HAS to include some Stones. I mean, seriously dude. You've got 100 better records than anything put out by the Stones? Really? I've made myself a killer 5-disc box set of great Stones. Also made a great Dead set.

Suprised you've got the Devo. Cool. You were the one who got me into DMB. I also rarely ever listen to them anymore.

pockyjack said...

"I also rarely ever listen to them anymore."

See my Beetles rule. They should not be on your list then

(They would be on mine, but rules is rules)

JMW said...

Dezmond, you actually burned the Devo CD for me. So, thanks.

I'll explain the Stones thing -- and others -- in my intro post.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dezmond said...

Pocky, I appreciate the spirit of your "Beetles" rule, which was that I shouldn't include anything on the list just because I know that I "should" include it due to critical acclaim, etc. I agree. That is why you will not be seeing 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' on my list. But, DMB is generally critically reviled and is not a "cool" pick these days. So I do not gain any hipness points by including them.

But I disagree with you on your point that I should not include that record if I don't listen to it much anymore. That doesn't follow. I listen to a lot of music. There is great stuff that I just haven't been in the mood for recently (as in, years). Doesn't mean that overall those records are not important to me. I love the film 'Jaws', but I haven't actually watched it in years. That still would not prevent me from putting it pretty damn high on my (forthcoming) Top 50 Movies list.

pockyjack said...

Then why not put the Tiffany or Debbie Gibson albums on this list? You used to listen to them all the time in middle school but probably don't now (correct me if I am wrong). How is that different than DMB?

Unknown said...

That's true. I remember when Dez first introduced me to Tiffany's music. I couldn't see what was so impressive about it, but he assured me that if I listened to it non-stop for at least two weeks, I would begin to appreciate it. Well, he was right! Although, I don't know if I was ever as big a fan as Dez was.

I did agree with him, though, when he said that she was "the prettiest girl that he had ever seen."

Now, he denies that he ever liked her, and won't give her a spot on his Top 100 list. Don't be a hater, Dez...we've known you for too long!

Dezmond said...

Pocky, you make a good point, but there is a difference. If I listened to Tiffany in Middle School (which I did not), I can tell today that it is bad music and I listened to it because I did not know better. In the case of that Dave Matthews album, I can today look at it and appreciate its strengths and see that it is a great album, even if I haven't had the urge to pop it in for a few years. That's the difference. If it was important to me at one point, then it gets consideration. If it can pass the smell test and I can make a reasonable argument for its qualities, then it has a good chance of making it.

I call this list "my favorites", but I do try and have an objective filter as well. Like my Journey pick. If I were to list the 100 greatest albums (objectively, based on importance, significance, influence, innovation, etc.), then Journey would not warrant a slot in a Top 100. But, it is a favorite of mine, so I consider it. If I can also at least make an argument for its qualities, then it gets a slot.

Therefore, Journey and Matthews make it, while Tiffany would not.

And in my commentary, when I hit a selection like the Journey pick that is clearly there more due to my own preferences than to any inherent greatness or quality, I make a point of saying so.

pockyjack said...

You make no sense. I reject your logic and whack the hornet's nest that is your ego.