Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Common Ground With Obama

I have found that I have some common ground with the presumptive democratic nominee afterall. I was listening to an NPR interview with Obama this afternoon, and he was asked the very important question of who he thought would be the NBA champions. He admitted that at the outset of the series he picked the Lakers in 6. Recall, faithful readers, that was my prediction as well. Since the Celtics are currently leading 2-0, that prediction seems very unlikely to come true at this point. He said that he did not really have strong feelings either way because he is a Bulls fan, and he is thrilled that they have the number 1 pick in this year's draft. I was heartened by the fact that Obama follows the NBA. I don't know why.

I was reminded of when Hillary Clinton was asked whether she preferred the Mets or the Yankees when she was running for her New York Senate seat. She straddled the fence and said "both." As any self respecting sports fan knows, you can like one, the other or neither...but not both. At least Obama risked angering Celtic Nation by taking a stand on who he thought was the better team between Boston and L.A. That is political courage.

No comments: