Friday, June 6, 2008

Dez's Favorite 100 Rock/Pop Records (#'s100-96)

Considering that GNABB was born in February of this year, I have shown remarkable restraint by holding back my lists of favorite albums or movies until now. But I can stand it no longer. What follows is #100-96 of Dez's Favorite Rock Records as of June 2008. Those of you who have had the misfortune of reading previous lists of mine know that I can go on for pages about each record, but I have mercifully decided to be as brief as possible. Also, so as not to overwhelm readers with all one hundred at once, I have decided to give you five selections each Friday, so this will be a regular feature at the end of each week for awhile. As usual, I welcome comments and thoughts, as well as your own lists of faves.

Rules? Pop/Rock records only, and no artist gets more than three selections. No compilations, no live albums. In this Age of iTunes and downloads, I fear that people are quickly losing appreciation for a cohesive album; one which is meant to be listened to as a whole work, not just as a group of songs. (Although, many of my selections are just collections of unrelated but outstanding songs.) There is something about holding a physical record in your hand vs. ordering a song up on your computer or iPod. I am somewhat heartened by the growing niche popularity of LP's. I'm on board, and I buy as many LP's these days as CD's or downloads. That is all for a different post, but all true music fans should buy LP's. Neil Young is right, they sound better. And the ritual is important. I will try and start each group of 5 with further thoughts and comments, so as to not overwhelm with one big-ass post. So, more on this next week.

Here we go, #'s 100-96...

100. Band of Horses – Everything All the Time, 2006

To prove I’m not all about the classic rock period, we’ll start with one of my favorite new bands. JMW turned me on to these guys, and they have a fiercely devoted following. BOH are all about sweeping, melodic, majestic pop. Song after song features hooks all over the place with dramatic crescendos. I hear some New Order and Cure here (the lighter side) instrumentally, but comparisons to Radiohead (their early stuff) and Coldplay (but with more guitars) are equally appropriate.

99. Thomas Dolby – The Flat Earth, 1984

You mean the “She Blinded Me With Science” guy? Yeah, and that song isn’t even here. This is a very obscure, forgotten little record that has a wonderfully coherent sound and mood. The intricate bass playing of Matthew Seligman and spare guitar from Kevin Armstrong help Dolby make #99 a musically captivating listen throughout. Sure, the 80’s synthesizers are there, but the bass and guitar lay a spry, funky groove over an appealing mix of synths and acoustic guitars. I know I am not alone in my admiration for this lost 80’s gem, I was pleasantly surprised when looking this up in my trusty ‘All Music Guide’, they gave it their highest ranking of five stars. There are a couple of missteps, but they are more than made up for with the pretty title track, “Dissidents”, "I Scare Myself" and the gorgeous “Screen Kiss”.

98. Elton John – Tumbleweed Connection, 1971

There is more blues, country and overall roots rock influence here than on any other Elton record. “Ballad of a Well Known Gun”, “Where To Now St. Peter?”, “Amoreena” (used wonderfully in the opening sequence of the film ‘Dog Day Afternoon’) and “Burn Down the Mission” are all solid rock songs that are about as earthy as Elton ever got. This is Elton John, though, so even here he throws in at least one gorgeous ballad, “Come Down In Time”. For folks used to his insipid Disney themes of the last couple of decades, go back to this record and those released around this time to see what the fuss was all about in the first place.

97. The Byrds – The Notorious Byrd Brothers, 1968

In the midst of internal turmoil (but then, when were the Byrds ever not in turmoil?), one of the most important and underrated American bands of all time created a gorgeous piece of pastoral, psychedelic folk rock. Nothing else out there really sounds like this record, and it represents the best of the wide open sonic freedom of late 1960’s rock recording. Funny story: the horse on the far right on the album cover is supposedly there to represent the recently booted (or resigned, depending on whose story you believe) David Crosby.


ABOVE: Is that David Crosby on the far right?

96. Pearl Jam – Vs., 1993

I know that Ten is more beloved, cohesive and influential, but I prefer the power and eclecticism of their follow-up. PJ veers from punk-like bursts of energy with “Animal” and “Leash” to perfect acoustic power rock like “Daughter” and “Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town”. They were lumped together with the grunge bands of the early 1990’s, but Pearl Jam is really a classic rock band in grunge clothing. Their music has more in common with The Who or Neil Young than with Nirvana or Alice in Chains. Remember the days when the release of a new Pearl Jam album was an event?

10 comments:

JMW said...

Great start to the list. Vs. is Pearl Jam's best. The Byrds are greatness. I love (as you know) Band of Horses. Early Elton is awesome. ("Burn Down the Mission is one of my favorite songs of his.) And you even convinced me to check out that Dolby record, even though "Blinded Me..." was one of my least favorite '80s hits. I hate that song.

Can't wait for the rest...

Dezmond said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dezmond said...

Thanks, JMW. You will pleased to see that several entries on my list are from artists you suggested to me.

"She Blinded Me With Science" was Dolby's least favorite song of his own. I always enjoyed it for the fun 80's novelty song that it was. But THE FLAT EARTH is a great moody 80's pop record. The title track is especially pretty, as is "Screen Kiss". If you are checking out some tunes on iTunes, try those two first.

It was not planned, but I like that my first five picks spanned five decades.

Anonymous said...

I am really looking forward to this ongoing feature of the blog, Dez. I'll probably go out and buy most of the albums that I don't already have, so you have an awesome responsibility here...

JMW said...

By the way, I'm also going to be ripping this off and doing it on my blog.

Dezmond said...

Awesome, JMW. I look forward to checking out your list as well. These lists serve several purposes. First, they are a good way to suggest some good music to check out. In the past when JMW and I exchanged these types of lists fairly regularly, I would always go grab some stuff from his list. It is a great way to get exposed to some music you may have overlooked. Secondly, I love to discuss this stuff, so hopefully these lists can be a jumping off point for conversations. And please, if you disagree with me and dislike some of my picks, say so! That is part of the fun, discussing and debating this stuff!

Saxo, I am a humbled by my responsibility knowing that you have PROMISED me that you will go buy everything you don't already own from my list. Get ready to hunt down the complete works of Wham!

pockyjack said...

I always enjoy these lists in their various incarnations. But remember my rule: These must be albums that you actually like. To put them in the order you are putting them in, it has to indicate that you would most likely want to listen to them IN YOUR CAR (or some other place where you frequently listen to music). So don't put some layup on this list like the Beatles White Album or some other crap like that if YOU DON'T ACTUALLY LIKE TO LISTEN TO THAT ALBUM ON A REGULAR BASIS, or at least relative to the other albums on the list.

I hate it when people put the Beatles, Elvis, Led Zepplin, etc, if they don't actually listen to these albums. If, of course, you do listen to these albums, then please feel free to put them on your list. Just don't be a pussy about it. Be your own man, Dez, like I know you can. This is not a criticism of you Dez, because I know you are pretty independenly minded when it comes to such things. This just needs to serve as a warning to others.

Dezmond said...

Pocky, I put a Thomas Dolby record on my list, didn't I?

pockyjack said...

Yes you did. But picks 51-100 are mostly novelty picks anyway. They are on any list. Tee top 50 is where the rubber meets the road

Dezmond said...

Dude, #51-100 may be "novelty" picks for mere music mortals. You wouldn't get to the novelty picks on my list until the 500's or so. My #1-100 are stone cold solid, start to finish. You'll see on Friday when I hit you with 90-94.