Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Cigar Appreciation

“Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar” – Sigmund Freud

I don’t have many vices, but I do enjoy a good cigar now and again. I caught the wave of cigar popularity in the 1990’s while in college. Cigar smoking seems to be one of the few distinctly male bonding activities left (although a sizeable minority of women also enjoy them). Harkening back to the old days when the men would retire to the smoking room, it is still a great experience to sit outside in the evening with some good friends, light up a stogie that will last a half hour, and talk about the state of the world. Such circumstances seem to open up conversation like few other activities can. You are sharing something fine, akin to a good glass of wine, hopefully with equally fine company. Some of my best conversations have centered around the cigar smoking ritual.


ABOVE: Women can enjoy cigars too

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” - George Burns

For those of you who don’t know much about cigars, a quick primer. Most cigars come from one of the following countries: Cuba, The Dominican Republic, The Philippines, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico, Brazil, Cameroon, Indonesia or The United States. Other places grow the tobacco and make them, but your finer cigars will come from one of those countries. The U.S., as you are aware, has an embargo against any Cuban products, which includes cigars. I love the story of President John Kennedy placing an order, the night before he signed the embargo against Cuba into law, for over 1000 of the best Cuban cigars (with taxpayer money, I wonder?) Once the cigars were confirmed to have been delivered to the White House, only then did he OK the embargo. It is said that Cuba produces the best cigars in the world, in part due to the unique qualities of Cuban tobacco and also due to the skill of the Cuban cigar makers. It is also interesting to note that an estimated 90% of “Cuban cigars” sold to eager Americans in Canada and Mexico are, in fact, fakes (as in, not really Cuban). I have had some good Cubans that were ostensibly authentic. But I have to say that I do not find them to be any better than those top quality cigars made in the Dominican Republic or Honduras. But the aura around the Cuban cigar persists.

"A good Cuban cigar closes the door to the vulgarities of the world." - Franz Liszt


ABOVE: Americans are not allowed to purchase cigars made by Fidel's countrymen

Now, there are many factors which determine the quality and taste of a cigar. Size, type and origin of wrapper, soil in which the tobacco was grown, fillers, age, humidity, whether it is hand-rolled or machine-rolled…all help to determine the overall composition. I’m not a real expert, but many cigar connoisseurs can allegedly detect subtle flavors of cinnamon, chocolate and the like from cigar to cigar.

“You should hurry up and acquire the cigar habit. It's one of the major happinesses. And so much more lasting than love, so much less costly in emotional wear and tear.” - Aldous Huxley

Leading brands include H. Upmann, Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta, Macanudo, Cohiba, Hoya de Monterrey, Cuesta Rey…among many others. My favorite of the readily available brands is Partagas. Of course, a myriad of choices is available within each brand. I’ve got a favorite “local” brand out of Ybor City in Tampa Bay, Florida called El Sol. (Note: El Sol takes orders over the internet if you want them shipped to you. They claim to be the oldest cigar store in Tampa...and there are a lot of cigar stores in Tampa. Anyway, their website is here.) There are many small, family run brands in that part of the country for obvious reason.



“Cigar?” – Blondie offering Tuco a smoke in ‘The Good, The Bad & the Ugly', right before severing their criminal partnership

24 comments:

pockyjack said...

So here is my deal with cigars . ..

I used to hate scotch. I really did. But it was not until trips to scotland (and Ireland - whisky) and spending time around true experts did I really gain an appreciation for scotch. Now, I am no expert, but I can often differentiate between regions and can appreciate the multiple layers of flavor. I now really love a good scotch.

So I took the same approach with cigars. I used to smoke them quite frequently when everyone else did in the mid 90s. I honestly thought they tasted like s**t. But then I actually spent a lot of time around people who knoew a lot about cigars and toured some places in Florida where they make some to appreciate the craftsmanship and flavor. And do you know what I discovered? After spending lots of money on expensive cigars . . .they still taste like s**t! They destroy your ability to taste anything else and you wake up in the morning with a splitting headache and a taste you can't get out of your mouth. Plus, they look gay.


Now a pipe on the other hand is a completely different story. It tastes infinitely better and says to the outside world "Hey, I may wear black sock with my sandals, but I really don't care."

At the end of the day, what would you rather smoke?

Dezmond said...

I understand some of your complaints, but a good cigar has a wonderful taste. I find it kind of gross if someone smokes on a daily basis. Then the smell becomes overwhelming on that person. But I probably smoke 2-3 cigars a month. generally just socially when appropriate.

On the pipes, I agree with you somewhat. I have a pipe and enjoy smoking them. BUT, they are such a pain in the ass. There is a lot of work. My Dad (a former cigar smoker), made fun of me when I got my pipe (in the 90's), telling me that pipe smokers were "fiddlers". As in, they are always fiddling with their pipe and pipe equipment and relighting, etc. You hardly have the time just to sit and enjoy the pipe smoking. But, I like the varieties of flavored pipe tobacco. That is a plus. You seem to get more dramatic varieties with pipes vs. cigars.

Unknown said...

I think it's all a matter of preference. Personally, I hate scotch. Even when I was a drinker, and I really wanted to be able to appreciate it, I still couldn't stand scotch. For me, it was very similar to the way you seem to feel about cigars. Why would I spend all of this money on something that I really didn't enjoy?

On the other hand, I love cigars. Truth is, I just like smoking. I like the ritual and camaraderie of it. If I could still smoke a half a pack of cigarettes a day without killing myself (and annoying everyone in the process), I would absolutely be doing it. To me, there was never anything as relaxing as when I was smoking. Plus, as Dez points out, the community aspect is hard to deny. When I was a smoker, I knew that there would be several points during my day when I would be able to spend time with friends and/or co-workers doing nothing more than talking and passing the time while we finished our cigarette. That rarely happens anymore.

Now, (even if I ignore their complexity and flavor and variety, which I truly appreciate) cigars, to me, are even better. Because, as Dez points out, they take longer to smoke than cigarettes (and they are more socially accepted). So, you get more time to enjoy them, and consequently, more time to spend talking with your friends. Now, clearly, you can talk with your friends anytime you want without having a cigar, but do you? It's the same as, "Hey, we all live in the same city...we can get together anytime we want, for no reason at all!" That's very true, but do you? No...there usually needs to be some type of event to bring you all together. An available cigar can create a moment of conversation that might otherwise have been missed. For people who enjoy cigars, the simple act of sitting outside at dusk talking with friends is an opportunity to cherish.

pockyjack said...

If that is what you want, then buy a fire pit. It is more healthy, it accomplishes the same effect and you don't stink and your mouth does not taste like ass

Unknown said...

I guess if you found a bunch of guys that really like fire pits, then perhaps you're correct. Otherwise, I'm not sure that it actually creates the same effect. But, to each his own.

pockyjack said...

I don't know a bunch of guys who will come over just to smoke cigars

Unknown said...

That's because we never invite you.

pockyjack said...

That hurts kyle. That hurts

Unknown said...

Hey, it's Walter! Jerk!

In all seriousness, I actually do know quite a few guys who would love to get together to smoke a cigar and talk. Dez is just one of them. I actually just had a cigar with my brother and father this past weekend.

If someone called me right now and said, "Hey, come down to Downing Street...let's have a cigar and hang out." I'd be there without hesitation.

So, like I said, it all comes down to personal preference.

That being said, when my wife and I get the fire pit that we have been talking about getting, I'll be sure to give you a call.

pockyjack said...

That's about the gayest thing I have ever heard.

No, its not. But still pretty gay.

No its not. i just say that to get under your skin


Having a long dark shaft in your mouth is completely hetero

Dezmond said...

I'm with Wally on this one, Pokymon. I've got quite a few friends who enjoy that very activity of getting together, hanging out and smoking cigars. I don't think it would be the same if I called them up and said "hey, come over and stand around my fire pit." Especially in Texas.

pockyjack said...

Do all of these friends have neatly trimmed moustaches?

Unknown said...

Pocky, your "cigars are gay" argument is just ridiculous. Come on...you're better than that.

By the way, Dez, that's not true that none of the guys have well-groomed moustaches. That on guy, Renee, does. You know, the one who's always offering to give everyone blow jobs?

pockyjack said...

Walter, you need a picture.


Technically, I think they are called d**k brooms

Unknown said...

I've never heard that before. It's interesting that you have, though.

pockyjack said...

For some reason I have a bunch of gay friends who like to sit around and smoke cigars

Unknown said...

Are you sure you're not confusing us with your other group of friends who all like to hang around their new Williams-Sonoma fire pit?

pockyjack said...

Al I am saying is that if it looks looks like a duck . . .

Unknown said...

So, by this logic, as a heterosexual man, I should probably stay away from carrots, hot dogs, and those thunder sticks that they have at NBA games?

pockyjack said...

No. those are fine. But those orange push up popsicles are right out

Unknown said...

That goes without saying.

Grandes Cigarro said...

This comment conversation is almost worthy of its own blog post.

The first person that invents a cigar that's shaped like a vagina will make pockyjack a much more secure man.

Dezmond said...

Ha!

pockyjack said...

Again, that is why I smoke a pipe! Much more hetero