Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Dez Reviews Yo Gabba Gabba Live!

In the old days, I’d be reviewing a Springsteen show, perhaps U2 or the Police reunion tour. Now, it is Yo Gabba Gabba Live! Not that I didn’t enjoy the Gabba show that I attended Saturday night with my wife and daughter. It was actually greatness. If you are unfamiliar with Yo Gabba Gabba, it is a trippy children’s show. Here’s a clip…



The show was at San Antonio’s Majestic Theater, and that wonderful venue can make almost any show at least bearable. At the Majestic I have seen Neil Young, Lyle Lovett, The Gypsy Kings, ‘Wicked’…but Yo Gabba Gabba rocked them all (to quote Bon Jovi).

They came out just like rock stars. Dramatic music, lights, smoke…and Brobee! (Screams). Muno! (Screams). Toodee! (Screams). Foofa! (Screams). Plex! (Screams). DJ Lance Rock! This is what Woodstock must have felt like. Or maybe Altamont? Anyway, they opened strong and hard with a thumping version of “Get the Sillies Out.” My daughter was screaming and dancing in delirium. The whole theater shook. The thing with Gabba, a disturbing number of adults really enjoy it too. It is sort of a hipster’s kids show. For instance, the art guy on each episode, who teaches the kids how to draw snow skiing squirrels or walking bowling balls, is “Mark,” as in Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo, BELOW:



The excitement became too much for me to take, so I retired to the lovely Majestic lobby for some M&M’s and Cheez-Its being sold at the concessions, just to cool down. Soon after returning to my seat, they brought it down with one of their best slowburners, “Don’t Be Afraid (Of the Dark)”. Yes! They didn’t play that the last time. (This is my second Gabba concert, we saw the previous tour too).

After intermission (so the audience can change diapers and get in some quick naps) they came out with guns blazing, pulling out the Gabba “Stairway To Heaven,” that being “There’s a Party In My Tummy.” Green Beans and Carrots came out for the song too. The show cresecendoed with a personal appearance by rapper Biz Markie, of "Just a Friend" fame. He brought some kids onstage to participate in the Biz’s Beat of the Day segment, a favorite segment of the show. Biz looks like a tough dude, not someone you would want to meet on the streets of Compton. And he is coming up to these intimidated four year olds, right in their face, and asks “what’s yo name?” Then he makes them beat box with him.


ABOVE: "gather round for Biz's Beat of the Day"

It was a well paced show, my daughter had a blast and therefore so did I. I am sure she will look back on Gabba Live in the same way I look back on seeing Dire Straits in ’85.

2 comments:

ANCIANT said...

That is totally awesome. All of it. You're a good dad.

Dezmond said...

Thanks. I think I am most days.