Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Song #5

Title: "Celluloid Heroes" (live)
Artist: The Kinks
Album: One For the Road, 1980. Original studio version from Everybody's in Showbiz, 1972.
Written By: Ray Davies

I almost had to love this one. A fantastic rock song by one of the greatest bands ever that is a nostalgic look at movies. This is another pick where the live version far outpaces the original studio version, even though the studio version is quite great. But this live version is several steps higher. First of all, that opening guitar solo by Dave Davies...man! Much like the solo I talked about in the live version of "Wild West End" below, it is not particularly technical or complex, but it is just perfect in its melodicism, pacing, feel. Dave Davies is one of the best on the instrument. And brother Ray, meanwhile, would compete for rock's greatest songwriter.



BELOW: Bonus clip. Here's the original version. Not as brilliant, but still great.

9 comments:

Subliminal Gary said...

I was long prepared for the inappropriately highly ranked song by The Kinks. Really, it's much less offensive than the Neil Young.

With only four songs left, I'm starting to wonder about the big omissions. Is Ray really going to ignore Led Zeppelin? Will there be three more Neil Young songs, all from this Note's For you? And how can there be no Kaiser Chiefs?

Dezmond said...

"Inappropriately"?!?!? I see my mission now. I must educate you. The next time I see you, you will be given a generous, multi-volume Kinks "textbook" so you can do some learnin'.

But even more ridiculous than your lack of Kinks love is your highly offensive, possibly treasonous, dismissal of Neil Freakin' Young. Dammit, Gary! Weren't you at that '89 life changing Neil Young show in Houston with me? Haven't we discussed this? I know ANCIANT would argue for Bowie, but I say that Neil Young was the Artist of the Decade for the 70's. Just listen to all this sh*t: After the Goldrush, Harvest, Time Fades Away, Tonight's the Night, On the Beach, Zuma, American Stars 'n Bars, Comes a Time, Rust Never Sleeps, Live Rust...all great to brilliant albums (and Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere barely miss the decade, coming out in '69). Then the fascinating 80's (f*ck everybody, Trans is awesome). And I like This Note's For You! Freedom is brilliant. Now look at his most recent releases: Fork in the Road, Le Noise, Americana. All really good to great records.

Nobody from his era (maybe except Dylan) has remained as vital and creative for a longer period of time. Everyone else is either retired or riding the nostalgia circuit. You probably also need a copy of my 8-disc Neil Young Chronicles set that I made.

Dezmond said...

With detailed liner notes.

Subliminal Gary said...

No, no! Uncle! I give! Neil Young is great. I listen to his entire discography every night before bed.

Dezmond said...

I have a sneaking suspicion that you are just telling me what I want to hear.

Anonymous said...

Educate him, Dez!!!

Based on his recent comments, it's obvious that Subliminal Gary has been hopelessly trapped in the lost decade of the 80's. If his condition worsens, we can expect future comments to praise the virtues of Culture Club and Wham!. Someone help him before it's too late!!!!

Dezmond said...

You know, Culture Club wasn't so bad. And speaking of Wham!, do you still have that tape or do I, Gary?

Subliminal Gary said...

I hope you have it, cause I have long since misplaced everything from that era. It would be a great loss to humanity. Though, I guess we could just email the MP3s back and forth every other year.

Anonymous said...

You really shouldn't joke about such serious matters. Possession of Wham! is a felony in most jurisdictions.