Friday, August 3, 2012

Song #3

Title: "Bad" (live)
Artist: U2
Album: Wide Awake in America EP, 1985. Original version from The Unforgettable Fire, 1984
Written By: U2

This one is a frequent highlight in their live set to this day, and it is easy to hear why. Starting off ethereal and crescendoing to an emotional roar and then back again, it is a song infused with drama. The studio version is great, but again, it is a live version that takes it to new heights for me. This Unforgettable Fire period is Bono's peak as a vocalist, I think. Up to this point he was still finding his voice (and learning to sing, frankly), and he has lost a bit of his range and capacity over time ever since. Also, this is textbook Edge on guitar, why he is less a great player and more a brilliant sound architect and innovator.



Bonus Clip: Here's the original studio version for comparison purposes. As usual, ignore the cheesy visuals that the YouTube poster added.

13 comments:

Subliminal Gary said...

U2 wrote the third most important song in musical history...for me to poop on!

Dezmond said...

Again, let's be clear what this list is. It is not the "most important songs" or even the best songs in history. The list is my favorite songs. I still welcome the agreements or disagreements as to the general merit of the tunes, but I am not declaring them the most important 24 ever. If I was doing that, I could just list a bunch of Beatles and Stones songs sprinkled with a few Dylan tunes and some classic soul (Aretha, Otis, Marvin, etc.) That's easy, but less fun.

Subliminal Gary said...

To be clear, in the absence of anything intelligent to say, I was merely trolling.

Dezmond said...

Cool. Troll away.

Dezmond said...

Clarify: I mean troll to your heart's content, I'm not telling you to go away. I need as many readers and commenters as I can get. Even if they are crack-adled.

Dezmond said...

And Wham! fans.

Subliminal Gary said...

If Father Figure isn't one of your top two songs, this list is a complete farce.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm the resident troll here. Back off!!!

Based on the selections so far, I'm predicting Wang Chung and aHa in the top 2 spots, but that would omit Mister Mister and Flock of Seagulls. So many choices, so few spots remaining . . .

Dezmond said...

A-ha is a great band! Seriously. This is where you Americans don't really understand the global music scene. While a-ha is known as an 80's one hit wonder stateside, overseas they have had three decades of success, fill arenas, and have released some fantastic music. But, no a-ha. Flock of Seagulls wasn't so bad either.

Subliminal Gary said...

I would accept A-ha, Wang Chung, or Oingo Boingo in the top spot.

Anonymous said...

"You Americans"? Did Texas secede or something? I know we Americans don't keep up with current events, but it seems like that would have been on Fox News.

Subliminal Gary said...

In all seriousness, I think Cutting Crew takes the top spot.

JMW said...

Dez, I love how in politics you're all about American exceptionalism, but if Australians have loved a-ha for three decades they must be unsung geniuses here! Does not compute.