Monday, August 6, 2012

Song #1

Title: "Tunnel of Love" or "Tunnel of Love" (live)
Artist: Dire Straits
Albums: Original studio version from Making Movies, 1980. Live version from Alchemy, 1984.
Written By: Mark Knopfler

I've gone back and forth over the years between preferring the epic live version of this tune from Alchemy or the relatively streamlined 8-minute studio rendition. So, instead of picking one or the other (currently, I probably prefer the studio version), I decided to list them both. Same song.

Since I picked this as my favorite song, I naturally feel that it has it all. Fantastic lyrics (using the amusement park backdrop as metaphor for a nostalgic look back at youth), stellar playing from the band, soaring guitar solos from Knopfler, and it features what I have always felt was a strength of Dire Straits, especially in the live arena, which is dramatic use of dynamics. The song roars along as a rock song, then Knopfler and co. bring it down to a whisper, then build it up to a crescendo higher than before. That use of dynamics is all over Alchemy, and it was a frequent tool used throughout the life of Dire Straits. Not surprisingly, this was the finale of their main sets for many years.

BELOW: Studio version.


BELOW: Unfortunately I couldn't find a clip of the Alchemy version that was of sufficient quality. But, check this live clip from London in '85, it is indicative of how Dire Straits would expand a tune from its studio origins, and it approximates the expanded Alchemy version.

4 comments:

Subliminal Gary said...

No foolin'. This song came up in my shuffle this morning and I was thinking that it rivals Down to the Waterline as Dire Straits' best.

Great list, Ray. Even the parts where you were totally objectively wrong (I asked Jim and although he hasn't read through the list yet, he agreed that you were totally objectively wrong). But those few unfortunates were overshadowed by many excellent, inspired picks.

What's next?

Anonymous said...

Jim is always right when it comes to Ray being wrong.

ANCIANT said...

I do not own Alchemy. Can you send me a copy? They don't have it on iTunes, or I'd get it there.

I started listening to Communique today, b/c of you. I realize I don't know that album at all. It's growing on me.

Dezmond said...

Cool. Communique is kind of the forgotten Dire Straits album, Mark Knopfler even dismisses it. It has its charms, I would say about half of it is really good. But none of it bad (as opposed to On Every Street). I love the opener, "Once Upon a Time in the West." Alchemy also opens with that one, a 14 minute version that is a bit more up tempo. I think you'd be interested. I'll send you a copy, definitely. I actually have a big stack of discs to send you from way back. I'll send them all in one big package.