Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day 26: Next Round Predictions

I know I've had a lot of NBA posts lately, but this is probably the last one during the 30 Posts in 30 Days. How did I do in the first round? I got 6 of the 8 winners correct, and two of the series I predicted the exact number of games. Nobody would have predicted the Spurs loss before that series got started. But it was clear which way that series was going after Game 1. Anyway, onward to the Second Round...

EAST

Chicago Bulls vs. Atlanta Hawks

This could be a tough series for Chicago, as Indiana gave them more trouble than expected in the first round. Maybe they are over their playoff jitters by now? Top seed expectations a little tough to deal with perhaps?

Dez Says: Hawks will make it interesting, but Bulls in 6.

Boston Celtics vs. Miami Heat

This is the series to watch. These teams do not like each other. I still recall the greatest tweet in the history of tweets, after Boston's regular season victory in Miami, from Paul Pierce: "I enjoyed bringing my talents to South Beach, now it's on to Memphis." Yes! It is Miami's raw talent vs. Boston's grit and experience (not that Wade and LeBron are newbies to this).
Dez Says: Perhaps there is also some hope in this prediction, but Boston in 7.

WEST

Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Memphis Grizzlies


Memphis showed incredible drive and poise in knocking off the #1 seed Spurs in Round 1 (only the fourth time that has happened in NBA history). But I have to say that OKC is a possible juggernaut in these playoffs. Two genuine stars in Durant and Westbrook, fiercesome presence down low with Perkins and Ibaka, and some great role players. Memphis will give a good fight, but OKC does not have the Spurs weakness up front.
Dez Says: OKC in 6

L.A. Lakers vs. Dallas Mavericks

This is about the time that the Lakers wake up, stretch, roll out of bed, have breakfast and start to take the playoffs seriously. In past years, they have been able to flip that switch at will. Will they this year? Will the Mavs continue to choke in the playoffs? My answer to both questions is yes. While the Mavs could push it to 7...
Dez Says: Lakers in 6

1 comment:

JMW said...

I'm about to put up my own predictions post. I agree with you about OKC, but after today's loss, they're 1-4 against Memphis this year. Not a great sign.