Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 21: Catching Up

I seem to keep getting one day behind. So, this is yesterday. I've got a good post in the pipeline, but something must happen first before I can post it for it to be timely. I am certain this thing will happen, perhaps tonight. Then I can post it and be caught up.

I watched Tron: Legacy this weekend. I have fond memories of the original, but mainly as a visual experience. The story was muddled and acting was cheesy. Guess what. The sequel looks beautiful (especially on Blu-Ray on a nice TV), but the story is muddled and acting cheesy. Although, I love the references to the original, to the 80's (Journey playing on the jukebox when Son of Flynn goes to his Dad's old arcade, perfectly preserved under a blanket of dust). Even better, in the flashback scenes when Son of Flynn is a kid and Jeff Bridges (said Flynn) is reading him a bedtime story, the kid has a Black Hole poster in the background on his wall. Nice, I had a chuckle there. Another Disney sci-fi flick that flopped in its time, but since has developed a cult following, albeit one smaller than Tron. By the way, I have always loved The Black Hole. Generally, I cannot stand this trend of remaking everything under the sun, but I have always thought The Black Hole, if done right, could be a killer remake/update. Rumour has it that it is in fact being done. We'll see.


ABOVE: Dez is intrigued by a possible remake of The Black Hole. It was one of the campiest sci-fi flicks ever, yet also had an interesting and dark story to it and featured arresting visuals. Plus the acid trip of an ending still astounds. "You're not planning on going into the black hole..." "In...through...and BEYOND!"

My students start their TAKs testing this week. (Recall, TAKS is Texas's standardized testing regime). I have bathroom duty. I have to sit in a desk facing the restrooms, and make sure only one person is in there at a time. They could discuss the test at the urinals if I let more than one in, you see. It is difficult work.

More later.

2 comments:

JMW said...

"something must happen first before I can post it for it to be timely. I am certain this thing will happen, perhaps tonight."

That sounds so ominous. Now I'm going to spend the day wondering what it could possibly be.

Also, I like that you refer to yourself in the third person in that caption.

ANCIANT said...

My guess is that it involves basketball.

I hope you're allowed to read while you're monitoring those urinals.

I remember seeing Black Hole in theaters, with my dad. I haven't seen the Tron remake. Not sure I'm going to, but it's glad to know you're on it for the rest of us.