Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 18: Dez on The List

I know this post is late (that is happening more lately), but this is yesterday's post. Just pretend.

If you haven't done so, read the post below regarding Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 Greatest Artists and how they made it. In the comments to yesterday's post, Anonymous asked my opinion of the list. So, OK, here it is. It is important to note that I will base my opinions, as best as possible, on an objective basis as to who I think is most important or influential in rock history. I will try to keep my personal preferences to a minimum. (Also, when I say someone should be "lower," I mean further back, less important. When I say someone should be "higher," I mean in a better spot on the list than they are.)

For discussion purposes, here is Rolling Stone's list, as of 2011:

1. The Beatles

2. Bob Dylan

3. Elvis Presley

4. The Rolling Stones

5. Chuck Berry

6. Jimi Hendrix

7. James Brown

8. Little Richard

9. Aretha Franklin

10. Ray Charles

11. Bob Marley

12. The Beach Boys

13. Buddy Holly

14. Led Zeppelin

15. Stevie Wonder

16. Sam Cooke

17. Muddy Watters

18. Marvin Gaye

19. The Velvet Underground

20. Bo Diddley

21. Otis Redding

22. U2

23. Bruce Springsteen

24. Jerry Lee Lewis

25. Fats Domino

26. The Ramones

27. Prince

28. The Clash

29. The Who

30. Nirvana
31. Johnny Cash

32. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles

33. The Everly Brothers

34. Neil Young

35. Michael Jackson

36. Madonna

37. Roy Orbison

38. John Lennon

39. David Bowie

40. Simon and Garfunkel

41. The Doors

42. Van Morrison

43. Sly and the Family Stone

44. Public Enemy
45. The Byrds

46. Janis Joplin

47. Patti Smith

48. Run-DMC

49. Elton John

50. The Band

51. Pink Floyd

52. Queen

53. The Allman Brothers Band

54. Howlin' Wolf

55. Eric Clapton

56. Dr. Dre

57. Grateful Dead

58. Parliament/Funkadelic

59. Aerosmith

60. Sex Pistols

61. Metallica

62. Joni Mitchell

63. Tina Turner

64. Phil Spector

65. The Kinks

66. Al Green

67. Cream

68. The Temptations

69. Jackie Wilson

70. The Police

71. Frank Zappa

72. AC/DC

73. Radiohead
74. Hank Williams

75. The Eagles

76. The Shirelles

77. Beastie Boys
78. The Stooges

79. The Four Tops

80. Elvis Costello

81. The Drifters

82. Creedance Clearwater Revival

83. Eminem
84. James Taylor

85. Black Sabbath

86. Tupac Shakur
87. Gram Parsons
88. Jay-Z
89. The Yardbirds

90. Carlos Santana

91. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

92. Guns N' Roses
93. Booker T. and the MG's
94. Nine Inch Nails
95. Lynyrd Skynyrd

96. Diana Ross and the Supremes

97. R.E.M.

98. Curtis Mayfield

99. Carl Perkins

100. Talking Heads

First, as far as who is there, and then I will address omissions. I question Nine Inch Nails, Gram Parsons, Tupac, James Taylor and John Lennon. I like and respect them, but this is Top 100. Parsons is cool, but I have always thought that his influence was exaggerated when you look at his actual output. He made some great cutting edge country, but others were better at making a country/rock hybrid. To me, Parsons often sounds straight up country. I know that James Taylor sold a lot of records in the 70's, but there were better, more artistic, and ultimately more influential singer-songwriters in that decade (such as Jackson Browne). John Lennon. As with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductions of Lennon, McCartney and Harrison all as solo artists, you have to completely separate his status as a Beatle (since they were honored with their own induction/slot on the list). Looking purely and solely at his solo career, it certainly does not deserve #38. I have never gotten why people love Plastic Ono Band so much. I mean, I see that it is so raw, confessional, bare bones, exposes the soul...it just isn't all that good. Perhaps I would not kick John totally off the list, but I would at least push him up to the 90's somewhere.

Now, as far as placement for who is there. CCR a little higher than 82. First of all, I love CCR. But this isn't about my preferences. I think that John Fogerty is one of the great American rock songwriters. Period. His body of work with CCR is almost uniformly strong. He evokes a swampy, Southern American mythos that runs deep in our psyche. Plus, CCR grooves like a motherf*cker.

The Police at 70. I don't know, hard to separate my adulation of The Police, but I think they have been very influential on some newer artists. Perhaps they are good there, but I might push them a bit higher.

The Kinks are way too low. As usual, they are underestimated and forgotten. I have posted whole separate posts on the greatness (and influence) of The Kinks, so I won't repeat it here. They are at 65, I would push them into the Top 20.

Clapton as a solo artist at 55? I'd push him back a bit. Since Cream and Yardbirds are also both on the list, he is rightfully honored for his accomplishments in those bands there. I'd still keep him on the list, but maybe back to the 80's somewhere. I laughed out loud when I read Steven Van Zandt's ridiculous claim in the Clapton essay that Eric is "the most important and influential guitar player that has ever lived, is still living or will ever live. Do yourself a favor, and don't debate me on this." Well Stevie, I will debate you on that. One of the most important and influential, certainly. And then Stevie does go on to make a excellent case for Clapton. But still. Jimi Hendrix and Chuck Berry are both more important and influential. And Rolling Stone knows this too, regardless of Stevie's views. That is why Berry is at 5 and Hendrix at 6, and Clapton at 55 (and Cream at 67 and Yardbirds at 89).

I might put Sly and the Family Stone further back than 43. I've never seen why they were so great. But I could be convinced.

I would push Madonna up about ten slots. Michael Jackson is way too low at 35. Almost to the Top 10 is where he should be, if not in the Top 10. For many younger folk, Jacko is more important than Elvis or The Beatles. Just ask my students.

Johnny Cash is awesome and influential, but 31 is a bit high. Nirvana is too high at 30. Should at best be in the 60's. The Who is too low at 29, give them at least a ten slot boost. Springsteen and U2 maybe a little higher than they are. Everyone loves Bob Marley (as do I), but 11 is a bit high for him. Well, maybe not. I don't know. Jimmy Cliff was also partly responsible to bringing reggae to the world.

Ommissions: The Cure, The Animals, Jeff Beck (in the 90's, at the end of the list, but there nonetheless), Jackson Browne, CSN (they could take James Taylor's slot), Fleetwood Mac, Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Yes, Pearl Jam (perhaps, in the 90's or even at 100), Steely Dan (maybe), Traffic (maybe), ZZ Top (maybe).

Looks like lots of complaints. But honestly, there is much to like about this list too (like the love for Neil Young at 34). It is an improvement over 2004's version.


ABOVE: Where's Peter?

2 comments:

JMW said...

Agreed that Nirvana is way too high. And Nine Inch Nails is on the list at all?? I didn't realize that. Now I realize, even more, how foolish it is to talk about anything Rolling Stone-generated.

Nine Inch Nails????

Dezmond said...

True, Rolling Stone generated. But it was those musicians, critics and industry people who actually voted.