Sunday, October 19, 2008

Powell Endorses Obama

I've always greatly respected Colin Powell. Recall that he seriously considered a run for the White House years ago, and I often wonder what would have happened had he run and won. Politically speaking, he is almost exactly where I am. A Republican, but a moderate one. A Republican who is concerned about the rightward tack of the GOP. If I were to compare my views to some well known leaders, it would be Colin Powell and John McCain...the John McCain of 4-8 years ago. Unfortunately, not the John McCain of now. I know that all presidential candidates have to hold their noses as they court essential base groups. But it is particularly disappointing to see McCain having to do that, since he made his name as a maverick who used to stand up to the right wing of his own party. And then there is the choice of Palin. For that alone, I cannot vote for John McCain. I still am not sure I can cast a positive vote for Obama, because I have serious reservations on key positions he takes, but I do not have reservations about Obama the man.

Watch the clip below of Powell's endorsement of Obama. It is a thoughtful discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of both McCain and Obama, and then eventually a reasoned explanation of why he is now supporting Obama. What a great seven or so minutes of thoughtful, calm, fair and non-sloganeering political discussion. Way to go Gen. Powell.

2 comments:

JMW said...

I loved that endorsement. The voice of considered moderation.

I hope you decide to be an "Obama Republican," but I'll leave you alone about it. (For now... insert evil laugh here.)

pockyjack said...

I I think that Powell gives a generally good analysis of both candidates, EXCEPT he gives too much away by saying that the Republican Party has moved too much to the right. this tells me that he already has struck a deal with the Obama Administration and he is essentially already stumping for the man.

People have been saying that "the Republican Party is moving too far to the right" this past election. Really? You think so? Seriously? If you dig down, I think this quickly becomes a throw away comment and not really reality.

Look at Bush, what sort of "conservative legislation has he really pushed in his second term? In fact, he is probably boosted the number of transfer payments more that Clinton. He has handed out "economic stimulus payments" and has softened on Stem Cell research. He spends like a liberal, and now he has nationalized the banking industry.

I would hardly call McCain an arch conservative. Palin was just a bone to throw to the right wingers to help build a coalition.

Powell Understands this. he is a smart guy. That is why I think he now has some skin in the Obama game. Like a good politician, he is god at capitalizing on public sentiment that is not exactly true.