Saturday, March 22, 2008

Poll Results

I've been doing polls here since the inception of GNABB, but have yet to conduct a conversation about the results. The latest poll just closed, and after thousands upon thousands of votes, here are the results:

Your favorite decade for music?

1960's: 41%
1990's: 33%
1980's: 25%
1970's: 0%
2000's: 0%

Perhaps these results are in part reflective of the demographics of the GNABB Nation. I have found that one's favorite period of music usually coincides with their teenage/high school years where for most normal people things like music and other pop culture are of utmost importance. (For people like me, that period of obsessiveness continues to this day).

The 60's as winner doesn't surprise me. Rock and roll (and I am assuming most readers here are primarily rock and roll listeners, in whatever favorite genres) really came of age and blossomed in that decade. But what surprised me was the strong showing for the 1990's. I didn't think that was a particularly strong decade for tunes. For the record: my vote went with the 1980's (notice I worded the poll carefully, asking for "favorite", not some sort of objective "best" or "most significant"). Where's the love for Duran Duran and Men At Work, people?


ABOVE: 80's music was noted for its substance over style, and its hardhitting political and social impact on the key issues of the day...oh wait, I meant the 1960's

I'd be curious to hear from voters (or even non-voters) in this last poll as to what made your decade of choice so great...

4 comments:

JMW said...

Dez, you write this: "... what surprised me was the strong showing for the 1990's."

Um, check one of your own previous paragraphs, where you write: "I have found that one's favorite period of music usually coincides with their teenage/high school years where for most normal people things like music and other pop culture are of utmost importance."

I'm sure that many of your readers -- LIKE YOU -- were teenagers in the early 90s. I was. That's partly why I voted for that decade. I took the word "favorite" and ran with it. Yes, the '60s were more important for rock, but I came of age with R.E.M., Nirvana, Uncle Tupelo, and others. So, the '90s. Simple.

pockyjack said...

Actually, I think many of the folks here run counter to your theory. I actually believe that most of the time, peopel identify with their high school years, but in our case we had the worst 4 year run in the history of modern music. Generally speaking 88 to 92 wage a wasteland of Milli Vanillis, Vanilla Ice, and other complete crap. For me, the 90s did not start until 92 with the advent of grunge. Granted, I really did not like grunge, but in the beginning it washed away the over production of the late 80s/early 90s. Sure there wre some good bands out there (US, REM, Drivin and Cryin, etc) but they aer not identified with the 80s genre. Music improved greatly for the rest of the 90s until we got to 1999 ish and nothing has happened of any significance since. We are long over due for the "next big thing." However, I do believe that, with the advent of new media, we have hit the next big thing in that music has become fragmented with the rise of Ipods and satellite radio. Our choices are so much more infintie and can no longer be bottled up by clear channel.

Dezmond said...

"Rock is dead...long live rock."

Anonymous said...

I voted for the '90's becuase I grew up in the 90's. Without giving it much thought, I liked REM, Counting Crows, Stone Temple Pilots, Analyis Morisette, Tori Amos, and U2 during that time.