Thursday, May 24, 2012

Dez's 5 Star Records Wrap-Up and Analysis

This is it. The end of the 5 star list. Next comes all of the 4 star records. Just kidding. As I said in the previous post, as I’ve gone through making the list, I would look back and regret not including a certain record. So this post is in part to rectify that and add 11 more records that should take their place on Olympus with the others that I have discussed. I made a long list of candidates, and then set an 11 record limit, and picked the 11 that jumped out at me the most as egregious omissions. (Well, I initially set it at 10, but couldn’t knock out that last one, so this entry goes to 11). Where appropriate, I also remind you of the other records on this list by that artist. Following these last selections will be some statistical analysis.

Count Basie – The Atomic Mr. Basie (1957): The stereotypes that Basie’s bands swing and Ellington’s bands had subtlety and complexity are only partly true, Ellington could swing and Basie’s bands, as shown here, could play with many shades and moods.

The Beatles – Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967): I’ll be honest, I have never really connected with this record as a whole (just some individual songs), but this will be the one place on this list where a record’s influence and importance is so great that it is just stupid to not have it, so here it is. And I do like it.

The Beatles – Abbey Road (1969): Early on when ANCIANT called me out for not having enough Beatles, I knew he was right; I think I started a bit more strictly than I ended up (just look at where these additions are, alphabetically), and I truly do love AR, it should have been there from the start, especially for the suite on the second side. And “You Never Give Me Your Money.” And the two beautiful George Harrison tunes. And “Come Together.” (Also on this list: A Hard Day’s Night, Revolver and The Beatles).

The Black Keys – El Camino (2011): Goes to show that you can take simple elements and old sounds and make them fresh again.

Black Sabbath – Vol. 4 (1972): I thought Paranoid was enough, but ever since the B’s, I’ve looked back at Sabbath's 4th record and knew it was just as strong and even grooves a bit harder. (Also on this list: Paranoid).

David Bowie – Aladdin Sane (1973): Doesn’t have the thematic coherence of its more famous predecessor (Ziggy Stardust…), but it rocks a bit harder and I like the songs and flow more. (Also on this list: Diamond Dogs and Low).

Duran Duran – Duran Duran (1981): A New Romantic landmark, the Durans’ debut has the requisite 80’s pop classics, but especially in the second half they stretch out for some very moody, synth-heavy epics. (also on this list: Rio).

Bob Dylan – Highway 61 Revisited (1965): Dylan started playing electric on the previous record, but here he really bursts through all of the boundaries that had stood between folk and rock music, and he also burst through the three minute single orthodoxy with “Like A Rolling Stone.” (Also on this list: Blood on the Tracks).

Aretha Franklin – I Never Loved a Man The Way I Love You (1967): Atlantic’s Jerry Wexler was the one who understood how miscast Aretha had been on Columbia as a jazz singer; he set up a gritty soul session with the Muscle Shoals rhythm section and she finally found her true identity as our greatest female soul singer.

Dr. John – Locked Down (2012): In hindsight it seems so logical, pair the Dr.’s voodoo with the retro blues/funk of The Black Keys and you get this killer record. (Also on this list from Dr. John: Gris-Gris).

Elton John – Madman Across the Water (1971): I should have had more than one Elton record on the list from his prime period, and the next record has to be this one; the first side of this album is as perfect as a side can be. (Also on this list: Tumbleweed Connection).

OK, let’s break it all down by decade:

1920’s: 1

1930’s: 1

1940’s: 0

1950’s: 8

1960’s: 60

1970’s: 92

1980’s: 69

1990’s: 43

2000’s: 25

A total of 299 albums were honored by the Dez 5 Star Designation. No surprise that the 70’s reign supreme, and that the 60’s and 80’s are also well represented. As much as I’ve proclaimed the 90’s to be a musical wasteland, 43 albums is not bad.

Let’s look at who made the most appearances. We will start listing at three records:

3: The Band, Jeff Beck, David Bowie, The Byrds, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Miles Davis, Dire Straits, Genesis, Van Morrison, Radiohead, Tragically Hip, Yes

4: Peter Gabriel, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who

5: The Beatles, The Police, U2

6: The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen

7: Neil Young

That all looks about right, with two rather important caveats. First, a four star record is still pretty awesome. Some artists that I really like put together many four star records. Take The Cars. They were here for two entries, but two other records would be four stars, and then three strong three star entries. Related to that point are artists from genres or eras that did not focus so much on the album format. I’m a big blues fan, but there were few blues albums on this list. Howlin’ Wolf, Muddy Waters, Sonny Boy Williamson, John Lee Hooker…love them all but they were definitely about the single vs. the album. Same goes for many soul greats like Sam Cooke. Such is the nature of the beast.

So, go out and get some of these! They have my highest recommendation. The list starts back in February if you need to click back to refresh your memory. I would love to see lists from some of you.

4 comments:

ANCIANT said...

Who'll love a lad insane?

JMW said...

So, what's the next project?

Also, you do realize, right, that you make fun of Rolling Stone for its worship of certain artists, but looking at the artists that had 4 or more entries on this list, you're basically Jann Wenner in another body?

Anonymous said...

Not quite. Rolling Stone has always been hostile to Led Zeppelin, and they do not particularly fawn over Peter Gabriel either. But I give you the others. But who doesn't fawn over The Beatles?

But there is also a big difference. I can be critical and objective. As big of a Springsteen fan as I am, I can still discern his best work from more pedestrian releases. For instance, Rolling Stone gave his latest 5 stars (and I believe the previous one also got 5 stars). Compare that to the three stars I gave the latest, and the two stars I gave 'Working on a Dream.' Therein lies the difference.

-Dez

JMW said...

I know, I know. I just need to stir the pot around here sometimes.

I'm really enjoying the CDs you gave me in Vegas, by the way. Thanks again. Been having a Byrds moment...