Sunday, May 13, 2012

Dez's 5 Star Albums: The T's

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I have been enjoying this project immensely, in part, because it has made me go back and rediscover forgotten gems, or in a few cases, give a closer listen to something and really discover its greatness for the first time. I have been having a blast putting this together. Perhaps that explains the rather brisk pace. On the other side of the coin, it has forced me to re-evaluate some records and some that off the top of my head I would have said belong, I have ended up demoting to lesser stars upon closer listens. Of course, as it has gone along, I have regretted not putting a handful on there. So I will have a "clean up" post at the end, where I list a few records that I should have included but who's letters have already gone by. Feel free to strongly lobby for something (as ANCIANT has done recently for Sting's ...Nothing Like the Sun) to make the clean up post).

T. Rex – Electric Warrior (1971): No offense to you Bowie fans out there, but is this the definitive glam record? I think so.

Talking Heads – Stop Making Sense (live) (1984/1999): I know this release is somewhat frowned upon by Talking Heads fans, but I have always loved it and find it to be a fine (and wonderful sounding) overview of their most popular period, and the show unfolds in an interesting way, slowly expanding the sound song after song. (Note: I consider the 1999 remastered, expanded release to be the definitive version, as it includes all of the songs from the 1984 film and is the real, complete show).

Tears For Fears – Songs From the Big Chair (1985): 80’s defining tracks like “Shout,” “Everybody Wants To Rule the World” and “Head Over Heels” might disguise the fact that this is an ambitious pop/rock album that would sound fantastic in any era. (Note: the expanded edition is worthwhile, not only is the remastering job fantastic, but a second disc contains some experimental b-sides from the era and the remixes of songs from the album).

Television – Marquee Moon (1977): One of those definitive New Wave landmark records, but it doesn’t really sound too New Wave, honestly, due to the sizzling guitar interplay between Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd.

Richard and Linda Thompson Shoot Out the Lights (1982): Recorded and released as their marriage was crumbling, SOTL is the perfect record about love and loss, and of course it features the usual stellar guitar work from Richard.

Richard Thompson – ‘Grizzly Man’ original motion picture soundtrack (2005): On rare occasions, a film’s soundtrack is so good that it can stand alone as a beautiful piece of work, and Thompson’s haunting score for Werner Herzog’s fascinating documentary about grizzly bear nut Timothy Treadwell is one such soundtrack, where his music captures the wonder, beauty, darkness and danger of the film.

Pete Townshend – All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes (1982): Pete claims that he was so strung out during this period that he has no recollection of recording this album; too bad, because it is his most interesting (and at times impenetrable) set of lyrics, and the music has a subtle and nice flow to it; it is clear when you compare this and Empty Glass to the Who records coming out at the same time that he was saving his best material for himself.

Traffic – The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys (1971): Once Dave Mason left (or was pushed out, depending on who you believe), Traffic became Steve Winwood’s band, and as such moved into more jazzy, improvisational territory, especially with the remarkable epic title track, but Jim Capaldi’s contributions (“Rock and Roll Stew” and “Light Up Or Leave Me Alone”) made sure there were still a few straight rock songs in the mix.

The Tragically Hip – Up To Here (1989): Canada’s best band (sorry Rush fans) got the closest to breaking through in the U.S. mainstream with their debut (they had already released an EP only in Canada that is worth hunting down for Hip fanatics), a fine mix of snarling rockers and acoustic gems highlighted by Gordon Downie’s shaky delivery and fascinating stream of consciousness lyrics.

The Tragically Hip – Road Apples (1991): This is The Hip’s hardest hitting rock album and my personal favorite in their discography, it is also a favorite amongst Hip fans in the Great White North.

The Tragically Hip – Fully Completely (1992): Considered to be their best record by many (although does suffer from some production deficiencies that the band consider severe), quite a few of these tracks were Canadian radio hits.

David Troy – It Will Be (1989): This entry is for all of the unsung musicians who are out there creating great music, but for whatever reasons, never make it beyond the local or regional scene; I saw this guy and his band up in Colorado on one of my many trips with Johannes, they gave a great show, and I still pop in their promo tape I bought at the show. These are great songs and this guy should have gone places, like so many out there.

ABOVE: Traffic is one of those bands (and there are many others) that I really like, despite making only one appearance on this list. They rarely put together a classic record from start to finish, but most of their records included some stellar tunes. Traffic had an interesting evolution. On the first couple of records, Steve Winwood and Dave Mason struggled with eachother for the sound and leadership, making those records a bit interesting and diverse. Once Mason was out, Winwood's Traffic went into a more daring, jazz-influenced, improvisation phase.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet lord, I love you GNABB, but this shows a sad ignorance of Talking Heads (the greatest American band of all time). Remain in Light is an undisputed masterpiece, and More Songs about Buildings and Food deserves consideration.

Also, to clarify: I don't think ANY of Sting's albums deserve five stars. But, if you're going to give five to Blue Turtles, I think Nothing LIke the Sun has to go on there too.

Dezmond said...

Yeah, I've got all of those Talking Heads records. I guess this is where the subjective part really comes into play. I do not deny their importance (but the "greatest American band of all time?" Hmm, we should talk about that). But I have always had trouble really connecting to any of their studio records. For whatever reasons, I have never had that problem with SMS, hence its appearance. So it is not a "sad ignorance," because I am aware of all of their records, have heard them, own them, like them. Just don't love them. Except SMS.

Says Anonymous, but I assume this is ANCIANT?

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's me. Return to those records, you're in for a treat. Remain in Light particularly.

JMW said...

I like Talking Heads. A lot. But greatest American band of all time? That's pure insanity.

Dezmond said...

True, JMW. We all know it's KISS. Does Talking Heads have their own putt-putt golf place in Vegas? I think that answers the question.

Tim said...

America (as opposed to UK) is a country of individual acts much more than bands. Elvis, Bob Dylan, Buddy Holly, Bruce Springsteen--even when they had great bands behind them, the rock STAR was the core.

There are not many great purely American bands. Talking Heads is one of them. REM, ASWOBA, would say, is another. Velvets? Big Star? GNABB will say "The Byrds" maybe. It's a smaller list than you might think. Talking Heads produced at least three, maybe four, great albums. That puts them in contention.

Subliminal Gary said...

RayDog, you knocked it out of the park with this post. The Hip selections, Richard Thompson, Traffic, and Townsend...only a fellow who overplays his J9s could quibble.

From my own T's, I would possibly add:

They Might Be Giants' Flood, which has so many fantastic, iconic songs that it is worthy of inclusion despite a few unmemorable tracks.

One or more of Thievery Corporation's Abductions and Reconstructions (this may technically be a compilation), The Cosmic Game, and The Richest Man in Babylon. Laugh all you want. I like downtempo. And these albums are fantastic, start to finish.

Out of familiarity, I would swap out your David Troy for Toy Subs. I think I saw them more times in the 90s than I've seen all other bands combined.

Either of Those Darlin's albums comes close to making the cut. I highly recommend you catch them live and pick up an album next chance you get.

It makes me sad that no single TV on the Radio album is strong enough to make the list. Nine Types of Light comes closest.

Tim said...

I should also give credit, GNABB--you were the one who introduced me to the glory that is "All The Best Cowboys," an album I once really loved (I probably still do, but I haven't heard it in a while). Great call, on that one.

Agree, too, with Gary about TV On The Radio. Maybe "Return To Cookie Mountain" belongs on here?

Dezmond said...

This is what I was hoping for, some good music discussion. Interesting point, ANCIANT (British vs. American bands). Off the top of my head, I would say Byrds and CCR as contenders. CCR especially.

Thanks for the suggestions, Subliminal. I will look into some of those. You started doing what I was going to suggest. I'd love to see some lists of your (all of you) 5 Star Albums. One of the main points of lists such as these is to spark discussion and hopefully introduce each other to some great tunes.