Friday, April 27, 2012

Dez's Five Star Albums: The Rest of the P's(-Q)

This may be the first entry with no 1960’s or 70’s releases (OK, there is one from the tail end of ’79). I doubt that will happen again.

Pearl Jam – Ten (1991): Their monstrous debut announced the arrival of what many people thought would be one of the most important bands of the next couple of decades; they may be one of those bands, but not for the reasons or in the way that was expected.

Pearl Jam – Vs. (1993): I actually like the follow-up to Ten even more; it was more daring, more diverse and more sonically interesting, but they were also still trying to impress, instead of being, shall I say, willfully perverse with their releases.

Pell Mell – Star City (1997): This instrumental group from Portland has recorded sporadically since the early 80’s; they are rarely flashy but quite melodic, many of these tunes have since shown up in films and TV shows.

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers – Damn the Torpedoes (1979): His third release put him on the musical map, and granted there is some filler here, but the strong songs are so strong that it remains his most potent record; the “& the Heartbreakers” is crucial, what a great, great band.

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers – Hard Promises (1981): If you married The Byrds to The Stones, you’d get prime-era Petty.

Liz Phair – Exile in Guyville (1993): Self-consciously tries to be a 90’s girl power version of The Stones’s Exile on Main Street, but the surprising thing is how close it comes to succeeding.

Phoenix – Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (2009): Great pop rock lives (even if they are French).

The Pixies – Doolittle (1989): This is when the Pixies strike the perfect balance between creating accessible rock and still maintaining their alt credibility.

The Pretenders – Learning to Crawl (1984): Chrissie Hynde is the coolest chick in rock, and LTC is their strongest set of tunes with a wide dynamic range.

Prince & the Revolution – ‘Purple Rain’ motion picture soundtrack (1984): Epic stuff here from The Purple One, he ads “awesome guitarist” to his long list of musical talents.

The Psychedelic Furs – Forever Now (1982): I could say here what I said above about the Pixies, the Furs maintain their underground credentials but allow some more pop sensibility into their music for a perfect balance.

ABOVE: The Psychedelic Furs’s biggest hit, “Pretty in Pink” (from Talk Talk Talk) was actually a song before the film was made. John Hughes was so inspired by the song that he then wrote the film from the song. Then the song itself became a bigger hit once it was used (and re-released as a single) for the film.

6 comments:

Subliminal Gary said...

No Queen album makes the cut?

Dezmond said...

Nah, I admire them and they've got great songs, but none of their records really hit me all the way through. I admit that I have not listened to them all that much beyond the hits, so perhaps I am missing something. Can you suggest what you think is their best couple of records?

JMW said...

I like it -- Gary mixing things up with a question. Yes, where is Queen? To say nothing of Queensryche.

Kidding.

This is a solid entry. I have quibbles, but mostly I'm happy that the phrase willfully perverse is now stuck in your head.

Dezmond said...

I will try and work it into all future entries.

Subliminal Gary said...

You're absolutely right about Queen. I went back and looked through my ratings on their 74 albums, and while each one has quite a few songs I really love, there always seems to be several stinkers to drag it down. News of the World is a personal favorite, but it's not for everyone. Jazz may be the strongest overall album.

But while perusing that section of my library, a few other albums stuck out at me. Robert Plant's Now and Zen is right on that 5-star verge for me. And his latest album, Band of Joy, definitely makes the cut.

The lack of Phish makes me sad, but I understand. My own list would include Poe's Haunted and Portugal. The Man's latest album, In the Mountain, In the Cloud.

This really is fantastic work you're doing, Ray. It's making me re-examine a lot of great music. Keep it up!

Dezmond said...

Yeah, I really like Robert Plant's solo material. Didn't we go see Plant together? Or was it Page? I've seen them both solo, and for some reason I think it was with you both times. Anyway, 'Now and Zen' is great, but some of the lyrics make me cringe. For that reason, it probably remains a strong 4 star for me. I love the music on that record, though. I also really like his latest. 'Principle of Moments' (title?) is also really good. Plant is solid in his solo years.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I will check them out.

Also thanks for the kind words of praise. I love writing these things, and it makes me happy that some people are enjoying them. I would love to see a list of yours so we could compare.