Monday, April 23, 2012

Dez's Five Star Albums: The P's, pt. 1 (Two Bands)

JMW accused the last entry in this series of being “willfully perverse.” This entry should right that ship, as it features selections from two bands that should be no surprise. As I’ve said before, some bands excel with the single. But bands like Pink Floyd think in terms of thematic, cohesive albums, so naturally they will have an advantage on this type of list. Part 2 of the P’s will cover everyone other than Pink Floyd or The Police.

Pink Floyd – Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967): Pink Floyd’s debut is the greatest psychedelic record ever made, and it completely belongs to rock’s most famous acid casualty, the madcap himself, Syd Barrett.

Pink Floyd – Meddle (1971): After years of fumbling, Floyd finally find their sound in a post-Barrett world, on an album that includes their finest recorded moment (or 24 moments), the side long “Echoes.”

Pink Floyd – Dark Side of the Moon (1973): Can’t say much about this one that hasn’t already been said, it is part of our rock and roll consciousness at this point – on the Billboard charts from 1973 to 1988.

Pink Floyd – Animals (1977): Often gets lost in the shuffle of their incredible 70’s streak, sandwiched in between Wish You Were Here and The Wall, but it has a devoted following, as evidenced by a group of my students with whom I discuss/argue music who all claim this as their favorite Floyd album.

The Police – Regatta de Blanc (1979): After some faux punk posing on their still excellent debut, The Police find their “white reggae” rock/pop sound on their sophomore release.

The Police – Zenyatta Mondatta (1980): The most spare and skeletal Police album, it also distills the essence of the band’s sound to its core, with plenty of space in the songs; while Sting and Stewart Copeland consider it unfinished, it is Andy Summers’s favorite Police record.

The Police – Ghost in the Machine (1981): Reversing course, The Police follow up their most spare record with their most sonically dense, augmenting the trio’s sound with horns, synthesizers and even steel drums.

The Police – Synchronicity (1983): At least they went out on top, their final studio effort was also their biggest seller; they hit commercial pay dirt while still remaining musically interesting (a multi-million seller featuring two songs about Carl Jung’s theories, and another song with the lyric: “Caught between the Scylla and Charybdis”).

The Police – Certifiable (live) (2007): I’ve heard a lot of live Police material from each of their eras, and they never sounded better than on their recent reunion tour, they are all better musicians now than they were in the 80’s; this complete live show from Buenos Aires is Exhibit A.

ABOVE: Some bands have a sound that for whatever reason, almost everything they do hits you just right. The Police are one of those bands for me. Sting’s bass playing takes the strong melody while Andy Summers’s guitar work fills in atmosphere with brilliant use of effects and sonic textures (influencing such other sonic architects like U2’s Edge). Stewart Copeland is my favorite drummer, filling in that space that the trio format leaves open. Sting’s writing, at least with The Police, was always interesting, and he has such a distinct voice. The Police have the honor on my five star list of having the highest percentage of their albums appear, with approximately 75% of their discography reaching the five star level. I am sure they are honored.

4 comments:

JMW said...

For the record, I accused the entire list of being willfully perverse, not just the last entry.

And this latest does nothing to dissuade me. Four Pink Floyd record and FIVE Police, including a live album from 2007? I feel like the list, a claimed balance of the subjective and objective, is almost entirely subjective. Which is totally fine. But even your subjective judgments are weirding me out a little. I can't really explain it yet. I will continue to watch as it unfolds and then try to come up with a grand unifying theory at the end.

As you were.

Anonymous said...

Dez great list. Hope there is some Rush records by the time "r's" are reached.

Dezmond said...

JMW, four Pink Floyd records is not out of the ordinary. Just for comparison purposes, if you look at the AllMusic Guide, I think they give five Floyd records their highest rating. That is one more than me.

I admit the Police may be excessive, but that is a case where I said The Police were a band that hits me right with almost everything they did. But it is not like The Police are some obscurity. They are loved by many (although AllMusic does not feel The Police, funny enough).

That live record from their recent tour really is so, so great. I did not choose that one on a whim or lightly. I've had about five years to let it sink in, so enough time has passed to get over the intial excitement. It really is one of the best and one of my favorite live albums. Honestly, The Police were not the greatest live band. They were better in the studio. Which is why this live record was such a surprise. It is so strong. I can confirm that it was no fluke, I saw them on that tour, and I'd put that show in my Top 5 shows (probably).

Dezmond said...

I stand by my original formula. I start at the subjective. So first and foremost, yes, it must be a record that I really dig. But then I do move on and try to evaluate it as objectively as possible. Can I make reasonable arguments for its greatness beyond my own fandom. That is the process.