Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Politics and Oscars

A few quick hits. First, I am relieved that Romney pulled out his victories in Arizona and Michigan last night. Santorum would be a disaster for the Republicans. I am a bit dismayed that he has painted himself in a corner, though, with his new vast tax cut promises. His original, detailed economic plan that he released last Fall was quite reasonable, and one of the reasons I liked him. But he seems to have tossed those carefully thought out plans to the wind to throw red meat to the Tea Party-types to prove his conservative bona fides in order to win a tougher than expected primary run. Disappointing, and in the unlikely event that he wins the real election, he has made it hard for himself to backtrack to a more reasonable economic position.

Did you watch the Oscars? I did, although my movie watching habits have fallen to the wayside these past few years. I had seen hardly any of the major nominees this year. As for the telecast itself, Billy Crystal was predictably a bit stale, as the movie industry desperately tries to hold on to a model that they fear is fading just as the music industry has changed. I enjoyed Meryl Streep's speach, though. She seems as tired of Meryl Streep nominations as many of us are. That was funny.

No comments: