Sunday, February 19, 2012

Dez's Five Star Records, vol. 1: #'s-A

New list. This will be fun. As the owner of a vast library of music, I have decided to list for you the records that I give my highest rating, five stars. You may be saying, "wait a minute, Dez. Didn't you already post your Top 100 Albums a couple of years ago? I consult your list religiously whenever I consider purchasing any music. Aren't these the same albums?" Or something to that effect. There may be some overlap, but this list is more. First, time has passed, so I've got additions and subtractions. But also I am free from ranking here, these are all listed alphabetically, and they are any genre (except classical, which I am not enough of an authority to make real recommendations). The criteria has to be both subjective and objective. I've got to personally love the album AND it must be truly great. Contrary to ANCIANT's accusations that I love everything, this is not true. It is difficult to get a five star rating from me. If you compare my ratings to, say, my favorite resource, the All Music Guide, I give a much fewer percentage of five star ratings than they do.

I am restricting myself to a single sentence as far as commentary. My music reviews tend to be verbose, so this will be a great challenge. And mainly, it is another chance to recommend great music to my loyal reader(s). Some will be obvious, but some are a bit more obscure. Go on iTunes or elsewhere and give some of them a try. Or better yet, head for the vinyl. Alright, so volume 1:

13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere (1967): Murky, haunting psychedelic masterpiece from the dark heart of Texas.

King Sunny Ade & His African Beats - Juju Music (1982): Afro-pop pioneer's major label debut is an infectious, lithe, juju dance party record.

a-ha - Minor Earth Major Sky (2000): Surprisingly beautiful, moody and mature piece of work from former 80's pop stars.

Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies (EP)(1994): Just as compelling in an acoustic setting as they were with grinding electrics, actually moreso.

Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East (live)(1971) (or even better, the more complete The Fillmore Concerts released in 1992): Duane leads Les Brers to the pinnacle of rock and roll improvisation.

Allman Brothers Band - Eat a Peach (part live) (1972): Triumphant wake for Duane Allman that both looks back and looks forward with equal confidence and resolve.



ABOVE: Were Roky Erickson's 13th Floor Elevators the greatest psychedelic band of all time? They were definitely one of the spookiest.

5 comments:

JMW said...

Cool idea, and I look forward to the rest. But: Alice in Chains? a-ha from 2000? Sweet god, man.

Anonymous said...

Have you listened to the a-ha? Methinks not.

-Dez

JMW said...

Don't play dumb, Dez. You know you're the only person who's heard that album.

Anonymous said...

Not true. A-ha were a one hit wonder in the 80's here, but internationally they have actually been a very successful band, filling arenas globally for decades and they have a rather impressive discography.

-Dez

Subliminal Gary said...

I'm starting from the beginning, Ray. I'll pick up the a-ha album, but I'm tickled to find I have most of the rest of your recommendations in my library already.

Other notable A's in my world are A Fine Frenzy (though admittedly they have no 5-star albums), Air (Pocket Symphony may make the cut), and Arcade Fire (Neon Bible is a strong 4.5 star album).

I'm a little surprised not to find Archers of Loaf's Icky Mettle on your list. Though they don't quite do it for me, either.