Sunday, January 29, 2012

Dez Reviews "It Might Get Loud," 2008



I had been wanting to see Davis Guggenheim's 2008 documentary "It Might Get Loud" since it came out, but I finally got around to seeing it last night. The premise is fantastic: gather three electric guitar legends, each from a different generation, and sit them down so they can talk guitars, roots, influences, innovations, perspectives. The three legends here make for an intriguing trio: Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin, Edge from U2 and Jack White from White Stripes and The Raconteurs. There is no questioning the chops or resume of each of these gentlemen of the six string.

There are lengthy separate segments following the careers and styles and perspectives of each of them. And they are different enough, both stylistically and in their backgrounds, to make the contrasts interesting. Page grew up in England and became an uber-session man (I didn't know he played on the "Goldfinger" soundtrack!) before joining The Yardbirds and forming Led Zeppelin (really, from the ashes of the Yardbirds). Edge grew up in working class Dublin, and created his groundbreaking, effects-laden sound in part due to initial limitations in skill of all members of U2 (as he said, "when we started out, none of us could really play"). He had to create a new way of playing, in contrast to the session-man professionalism of Page. Speaking of limitations, Jack White seems to thrive on imposing them on himself. While he is the youngest of the three, he is also the most rooted in the past, especially blues music. While still innovative, he chooses to innovate by stripping away technology and struggling through those limitations.


ABOVE: A great scene where Page puts on a favorite record and plays air guitar. It is cool to know that even Jimmy Page can get excited about listening to music.

To me, one of the most interesting points of conflict should be between Edge and White. They could not be more different in their approaches and views, which is set up wonderfully. Edge with his massive effects cabinet and gear (he is always with his guitar tech, trying to work out new effects and sounds), makes the point that the progress had already been made through playing, he was not interested in playing 10 minute guitar solos, he wanted to take the sounds themselves in new directions and re-create the sonic landscape. White, in contrast, is shown making guitars out of driftwood and coke bottles, purposefully playing out of tune department store bought instruments, and wringing out naked, raw emotions uninhibited and undisguised by technology. Both are valid perspectives, and both are persuasively made by White and Edge.

So, I was ready for a clash. Some tension. I was waiting for the scene, once they got to the sit-down/jam session, for Edge to wheel out his effects cabinet and for White to go off on him, and then they could have a spirited debate over their approaches. Never happened. The sit-down was so cordial and deferential, there were few sparks. Where there should have been real tension between the Edge and White's viewpoints, instead there was an acoustic, campfire singalong of "The Weight." I did enjoy the scenes where each of them show the others how to play one of their classics. Kind of a guitar lesson by and for guitar legends.


ABOVE: Jack White rather self consciously makes a guitar from driftwood and a coke bottle

Also, each time the film started to really pull me into an issue, like Edge's effects, or Page talking about recording the fourth Zeppelin record, the film would then jump over to something else. I kind of wanted more on many of the topics they touched on. And I definitely wanted more of the three of them talking and playing. Most of the film followed the three separately, which was interesting, but I enjoyed it the most when they were together, asking each other questions, showing each other songs, etc.

Two of my favorite moments came when they were together. First was when Edge was showing the other two how to play "I Will Follow." Page, the only really professionally trained musician of the three, starts, albeit politely, questioning Edge on whether he really wants to go from a certain chord to another. As if this were a new song they were working through as opposed to one of U2's most beloved hits from three decades ago. I think that decision has already been made, Jimmy.

The other was purely visual. It was when Page was showing the others how to play the riff for "Whole Lotta Love." Generally, when one would demonstrate to the others a song, they were concentrating and working on learning it. But here, Edge and White's eyes get big, they stop playing their own guitars, and just stare. Edge has the same expression on his face that I would if Jimmy Page were suddenly standing in front of me showing me how to play Zeppelin songs. I mean, even Edge and Jack White have to be thinking "holy sh*t, this is Jimmy freakin' Page and he's playing "Whole Lotta Love" right in front of me." It was the only star-struck moment of the film, but I loved it.


ABOVE: Edge gives away some of his secrets

It was a good film, quite entertaining. But I also left thinking it was a lost opportunity to really explore different philosophies on how rock music should be approached. They are touched on separately, but I wanted more direct discussion and tension between the perspectives. Perhaps there was just not that much chemistry amongst the three involved.

*** out of *****

3 comments:

ANCIANT said...

I agree; it did stay on the surface more than it needed to.

For me the revelation of the film was White. I had been a non-believer before seeing the movie. Now, I see him as a true rock n roll avatar. The scene where he plays the Son House record was great.

Also, my wife is now in love with him. But that's okay. I think.

JMW said...

I'd like to see this. I'm surprised it took Dez this long. Smart review, though. (Great captions, too, as always. You're perfecting the art of the caption.) I'll have to make sure this is on my Netflix list. Sounds worth seeing, even with your reservations.

danyulengelke said...

Great review!

We're linking to your article for Davis Guggenheim Thursday at SeminalCinemaOutfit.com

Keep up the good work!