Saturday, January 14, 2012

It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City (or, It's Hard To Be a Texans Fan in San Antonio)

My friends over at ASWOBA and ANCIANT (see links to your right) have embarked on another month of posting daily on their blogs. As much as I would like to join in, I already know that I won't be able to keep that pace. But I do commit to picking it up around here, let's try for several times a week again for starters.

Anyway, Go Texans! I figured that would be easy to express here in my current city of residence of San Antonio ("home" is reserved for Houston). Afterall, SA does not have their own team, so it makes sense that people here would pick the closest geographic NFL team to support. Right? Right? Like the rest of Texas outside of the Houston metroplex, SA is diehard Cowboys country. Nevermind that their owner is an arrogant turd and the organization takes their fans for granted. Nevermind that Houston is a three hour drive from here while Dallas is between four and five.

To support the Texans's innaugural playoff run I decided that I needed to get a Texans T-shirt. I already have a hat, but I wanted a t-shirt. So I drove over to Sports Authority (a sporting goods boxstore, kind of like Academy). I went over to their clothing section, and saw lots of UT and A&M gear, and four racks of Cowboys stuff. Nothing for Houston. There must be some mistake. Perhaps they have the Houston gear in its own special section. I went to the counter and said "I see all of your Cowboys crap over there, where is your Houston stuff?" The poor young girl behind the counter smiled meekly and said "we don't have any." Really? I felt bad afterwards, but I proceeded to take out years of resentment over Houston football (Texans or Oilers) being overshadowed by America's alleged team. I explained to her that The Cowboys were finished with their season, yet Houston had just won the Wild Card game last weekend. I explained that she better get used to it, because Houston will be the dominant Texas NFL team for the next decade. I told her that the Cowboys will never win [another] championship as long as Jerry Jones owns them. I explained that Houston craftily named their team "Texans" to be universally, well, Texan. They can represent all of us, not just Houstonians. She nodded and smiled.

So I drove over to the Mega-HEB store. Ostensibly a grocery store, they actually sell everything you need for the rest of your life (and the afterlife). I went to their clothing section, and I counted six full racks of Cowboys sh*t. They even had two racks of Saints stuff. After digging through about 15 racks of random sports-related clothing, I found ONE Texans t-shirt. One. It was on clearance. I bought it for nine bucks. I am wearing it as I type this. Go Texans!

4 comments:

JMW said...

That poor girl.

I assume you meant will never win [another] championship as long as Jerry Jones owns them, since he's already won, what, THREE with them? (P.S. I hate the Cowboys. Just saying.)

Enjoy wearing that T-shirt this weekend before the Ravens trounce the most dominant Texas football team of the next decade.

Dezmond said...

Yeah. That's what I meant.

ANCIANT said...

That is awesome! I'm impressed.

Jones won back in the day, but as he's gotten more and more involved in the organization (Jimmy Johnson forced him to sit in the back, as it were, and leave him alone) the team's gotten worse and worse. I find it particularly telling that after every Cowboys loss this season (more or less) it's been JONES, not Garrett or anyone else, who goes on TV or the Radio and gives the press conference about how the team is going to turn it around. No other owner does that. It's why the Cowboys are going to keep losing; he thinks he's a great football mind who should be involved in every level of the organization, when what he SHOULD do is hire a good GM and sit in his box and be quiet.

GOD I HATE THE COWBOYS.

But that's a good story. Although isn't it possible that the lack of Texans jerseys/products was due to them being sold out because of all the fan interest?

Dezmond said...

No.