Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Differences

Things have been going well, all things considered, during Daughter of Dez II's (DDII) first two weeks. She's a healthy and happy baby. They don't do much at this stage other than look cute, cry, eat, pee, poop and sleep. They do all six of those things a lot, a constant cycle between them, sometimes doing several things simulaneously (for instance, you can match pee with any of the other five options). It is still way too early to definitively say this, but I think I can already tell some personality differences between DDII and older sister, Daughter of Dez I (DDI). I've heard this from friends with multiple kids, that they tend to alternate with one being more challenging and then the next being easy going. I think I've got that here.

It is hard to tell whether DDI is just hitting a tough phase or whether she will be this headstrong all her life. I both fear and hope it is the latter. It can be tough to deal with, but I also want self confident daughters who will be strong to navigate through life's temptations and travails. DDI is certainly strong-willed. DDII already seems to be easier going. She doesn't cry as much as DDI did when she was a newborn. The first bath comparison is instructive. When we gave newborn DDI her first bath, she wailed and resisted and put up a hell of a fight. We've given DDII three baths already, and she is as chilled out and relaxed as DDI was fiery and wound up. DDII seemed to enjoy getting her hair shampooed and washed especially.

ABOVE: DDII seems to be deep in thought regarding her first bathing experience at home.

DDI already has such a distinct personality with emotions that run the spectrum, very affectionate and loving (and bright), but also with a real temper and rebellious streak. I've got a hunch that DDII will be a bit calmer and more reserved, but we'll see. What I do know and what I love to see is that DDI has really taken to DDII, and loves to help take care of her. Sometimes it can be a bit much, we have to remind DDI that DDII is still fragile and can't really "play" yet.

Last night I was cutting an apple for DDI to eat before bed, and she objected to the small size of the pieces I was cutting. She told me: "stop wasting time, I want bigger pieces."

ABOVE: I shall have my hands full for many years to come. Yes, that is an ewok on DDI's shirt.

1 comment:

JMW said...

I don't know, DDII is definitely giving you a wary look in that (adorable) pic at the bottom. So maybe she'll be tough after all.

So far, seems like things are great all over, rebellious streak or no. Very glad to hear it.