Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Five Years

I am sure that my loyal readers have already noted the significance of this February. It marks five years of GNABB. 609 posts later, we are still chugging along. I thought that I would go back through and link to some of my favorite posts over the years, but then I decided that I did not want to look through 609 posts. So, onward, always onward. I don't really look at the dwindling readership here as less interest. Oh no. It means that we here at GNABB are simply catering to a more select, elite customer. But on a more serious note, I do appreciate the regular and occasional visitors here, this has been a great forum not only as an outlet for my musings, but in the best of times, for great conversation with your comments. It is also a way to keep in touch with some good friends who live as far away as the West, East and South coasts. I try and keep the topics varied here, although I am well aware that it does lean heavily on music. That has always been my comfort zone, even though some of the best discussions here have unfolded from posts on other topics, especially political ones. So you tell me. What kind of stuff would you like to read in the future? Is it good as it is? Less music? I'm excited about the Record Guide series I've got in mind, but is that really of interest or helpful? I know, I know. The blog needs more NASCAR analysis. But any other suggestions?

7 comments:

JMW said...

Congrats on 5 years. Not an easy accomplishment. Music is a favorite subject of yours, and that's fine with me. (Though I do wonder sometimes just how many ways you'll find to go through Neil Young's discography.) Politics always brings out the comments. Ain't that America, for you and me.

If I were to change anything, I might just add some more just-because posts; posts about subjects that are a little off the beaten path or just inspired by a personal experience or feeling. I always enjoy it when you do that, so I think more would be a good thing.

Again, congrats.

ANCIANT said...

You're like Spinal Tap, Dez: your audience is just growing more selective.

My 2 cents would be: more posts about family life and being a teacher, life at a high school. Those are usually my favorites.

kentucky cat said...

Congratulations. I check your blog out every day but, as you know, I don't post much. I enjoy the exchanges between you and your friends. I don't know music like you do but I learn from your discussions.
I agree with JMW and Anciant that it would be interesting to hear some about what's going on at your high school and your personal experiences
with your classes.

Anonymous said...

5 years? I guess the most important question is how did this blog survive for 4 1/2 years without me? Someone has to speak for the uneducated and unwashed.

IM

Anonymous said...

Forgot to answer the question . . . you need to post based on what you know, what you love and what makes you think or feel. Yes, it's cliche, but those are your best posts. You're obviously passionate about music, b/c I can almost see you agonizing over a difficult ranking or struggling to condense all of your thoughts and ideas about an album into a concise blurb. Even though I strongly disagree with your conclusions, and it is obvious that you know absolutely nothing about firearms, your Sandy Hook post was definitely one of your best, b/c it was sincere. Likewise, I think the commentors above enjoy your family and school posts, b/c it's obvious that you care about what you do, and you provide insights that those of us outside of the education field can't see.

IM

Dezmond said...

Wow, thanks for the comments and thoughts. Sounds like all of you want more of what you guys would call "personal" posts, but Ignorant actually got it. What is more personal than music? But I get what you are saying. Family and school life and such.

I have to be very careful what I say about school, though. Student confidentiality and all of that. You hear many, many stories about teachers getting in trouble (in some cases fired) for talking about their students on social media. Honestly, I've had many posts in mind related to the classroom or education system, but I've shied away from putting it out there due to an abundance of caution. Even though, like they say in "Raising Arizona," "we're usin' code names." But I'll try and do more of that, as long as I can keep it vague enough. But that's the problem, in trying to keep it so vague, you suck all of the life from the post. The fun is in the details. But I'll work on that.

As for more family life, I can do that. A post soon about how my three year old daughter is already becoming a juvenile delinquent at day-care...

ANCIANT said...

Given that nowhere on this blog do you ever mention a) where you teach b) what city you live in c) your real name, I think you're fine to talk about students, especially if you're not too damning of them. And, honestly, that would be great to read about. How do you relate to the youngsters of today, Dez?