Friday, October 26, 2012

NBA Fantasy Draft

Had my NBA fantasy draft last weekend. I've been in this league with these guys for about 7 or so years now, so I do look forward to it each year. We usually have about ten teams, with a solid core of guys who return each year and a couple of newbies who rotate in and out.

For those of you who know fantasy sports, this league is a rotisserie style system, where we use points scored, shooting %, free throw % (weighted for how many free throws attempted), 3-pointers made, rebounds, blocks, assists, steals and turnovers. We draft a Point Guard, Shooting Guard, another Guard slot, Small Forward, Power Forward, another Forward slot, two Centers and two Utility slots (any position), with three Bench slots.

Out of ten teams, I randomly got the 5th pick in this year's draft. What made it difficult was that the two players that would be most likely picked in that slot are both injured (Kevin Love out for a month, Dirk Nowitzki out through December). The picks before me in the first round went Lebron, Durant (I would have picked Durant first, by the way), Paul and Westbrook (a bit high for him methinks, but it was The Ignorant Masses picking, afterall). Love and Nowitzki were out for me, so I went with Deron Williams as my first pick. Not a huge fan, but he is an elite PG and the star of the new Brooklyn Nets, and I subscribe to the theory that the key to fantasy basketball success is strong PG's and strong PF's. The rest of the first round went Wade (no freakin' way I'd touch Wade this season, he is way too injury prone and there is only one basketball on the court and he's on a team with Lebron), then Josh Smith, Bynum, Love (this guy couldn't make the draft, so he got stuck with the autopick by Yahoo, he also got Nowitzki through autopick and Dwight Howard, which means he is guaranteed last place in Free Throws) and Al Jefferson.

The draft snakes, meaning that the 10th pick also gets the 11th pick and then Round two counts down (meaning 1st pick doesn't pick again until 20th). For me, being 5th, the snake doesn't really matter. Sticking with my PG/PF formula, my 2nd pick was Pau Gasol. With Nash at the helm in L.A., Gasol should really benefit. I am optimistic that Gasol could have his best year (but the "only one basketball" issue also applies to the All-Star Lakers team, and I'm not too sure that Kobe will suddenly become a selfless team player). I've got a history with Gasol, this will be my third season with him on my fantasy roster. My third round pick I am really excited about, he could contribute in every category and is poised for the breakout year experts have been predicting. Nicolas Batum in Portland. Not exactly a household name, but should be a fantasy beast. My friend Paul was quite upset that I snagged him before he could get to him. Batum could be the key to my fantasy triumph.

ABOVE: Nicolas Batum should help me prevail over The Ignorant Masses and the other roadkill that make up my fantasy basketball competition this season

Another breakout candidate is Paul George, and I really wanted him, but he was snagged in the 4th Round three picks ahead of me. Those of you who have done fantasy drafts know that sinking feeling when one of your prime targets is snagged just ahead of you. So I picked up Stephen Curry of Golden State. He is a fantasy monster when healthy. But "when healthy" is the key. The guy's a walking china plate.

The rest of my draft went David Lee (I needed to start grabbing some Centers), Jeff Teague (more PG firepower), Kenneth Faried (lots of potential, prime breakout candidate), Michael Beasley (his career has been a bust so far, but he's in the best place for him to finally reach his potential - Phoenix), Sam Dalembert, O.J. Mayo (with Dirk out in Dallas until 2013, the rest of that team is wide open for fantasy production), Jonas Valanciunas (purely a fun long shot breakout prospect who will sit on my bench until he proves he's the real deal), Greivis Vasquez (hey, we're into the 12th round here) and Byron Mullins.

I like my team, but honestly I'm not super-excited (last year I had the first pick and rode Durant to 2nd place). But we'll see.

Those of you who know basketball, thoughts?

15 comments:

JMW said...

I just this minute finished my own draft. I took Westbrook at #4, so I guess I'm one of the ignorant masses. Except that he fills up box scores and is 15 years old. We'll see who's ignorant...

I also got Batum, much later than you did. I also got Carmelo, Bosh, Aldridge, Granger, Conley, and a few other solid guys. (There's only 8 teams in the league, so everyone's pretty loaded.)

Dezmond said...

Westbrook is obviously elite, but I thought 4 was high. I think he may be more a late first rounder. I'm surprised you got Batum much later. How much later? He is probably the favorite sleeper pick this season amongst the experts. Perhaps you play with less educated people, because if I had waited another round, Batum would not have been there. I'd be wary of Bosh, depends on when you got him. Be prepared with some contingency plans for Granger, because that a-hole will be in your MASH unit for at least half the season. Granger is on my "never draft again" list.

JMW said...

I'll have to check where I got him. Probably a round or two late than he should have gone. But likewise, I'd say you drafted him too early. Third round seems like a reach, but worth it if you really want him.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't thrilled with Westbrook in the #4 slot, but I don't think I had a choice. There's no way I take DWill over Westbrook, and I had the same concerns about Wade as you did. The Love injury really lessened the value of the 4th pick.
You selected Batum earlier than I would have, but there's no way he would have made it back to you in the 4th round, so if he's the guy you wanted, you had to take him in the 3rd. Personally, I had George, Jennings, Gay, Iguodala and Monroe rated higher at the time. Kyle Lowry was another that I had in that tier, but his health concerns me.
Based on their draft position, I think Teague, Faried and Mayo were your best selections.
The Ignorant Masses

Dezmond said...

I understand the Westbrook pick, I just have serious doubts he will have 4th pick value when it is all said and done. I was glad you picked him ahead of me, since I didn't have to make the choice. Batum and George were the two I really wanted to target 3rd and 4th rounds, so I was glad I got one of them. I am more excited now that I was initially with my team. Some of my later picks could really do some things, and IF HEALTHY, Curry was a steal for me in the 4th round. He gives 1st round value when he plays at full strength. But as one fantasy writer said recently, his ankle is made of Cool Ranch Doritos.

I like your team too, although I think Boozer might end up being kind of a bust. But without Rose, someone has to score in Chicago. I think your Leonard and Hill picks will pay off.

Anonymous said...

I would gladly trade Rudy Gay for Batum. I rate Batum higher than all those guys you listed, Denny. Batum wasn't going past me with the 30th and 31st picks. Without Nate McMillan and Gerald Wallace, Batum and Wesley Matthews went absolutely nuts.

You made one mistake, Ray, when you drafted Curry. You didn't pick up Jarret Jack as insurance. Now I will benefit from him the next time Curry's ankle does a 360.

And now the Rockets traded the farm for James Harden, who I have always considered one of the most overrated players in the entire league (not to mention a top 3 flopper). Let's hope he proves me wrong. I will gladly dine on crow in this case.

Anonymous said...

That's why we have the draft. If we all had the same rankings, it would be pretty boring.

I think I'm going to dedicate my 3rd championship to the Genius.

The Ignorant Masses

JMW said...

Nice night by that budding superstar Batum tonight: 37 minutes; 1/11 from the field; 3 points; 1 rebound.

Dezmond said...

How's Granger working out for you?

JMW said...

I have Batum, too, dude.

Anonymous said...

17pts 9 rbs 4 assists 4 steals 2 blocks 4 threes.

this line is a lot closer to what you can expect from the line you posted.

Anonymous said...

sorry...SIX steals!

Dezmond said...

I think Batum will be great this season. But overall, I am not that excited about my team again. It is not one that will get me in the money.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could talk smack about your team, but mine is sucking as well. Watching Westbrook's poor decision-making pisses me off. At least I can enjoy Melo's ball-hoggery this year.

The Ignorant Masses

Anonymous said...

my fantasy team, on the other hand, is clicking on all cylinders.

=)

you will also be greeted with a new Carl Sagan quote every day I am in first place.