Friday, June 3, 2011

Fun For Toddlers and Potheads Alike

As a relatively new parent, I am still discovering all that there is to offer in children's entertainment. In meeting with several other new mothers, my wife noticed that many of them raved about this TV show called Yo Gabba Gabba on the Nick, Jr. network. We pulled up a few episodes On Demand, and my daughter went wild. Loved it. Immediately started dancing around the living room to the catchy music. Honestly, I could not tell who was enjoying the show more, my daughter or my wife.

It is nothing new to create children's entetainment that also has appeal for adults (go back to the Muppets in the 70's), But YGG takes it to a new level. It plays like a very pleasant acid trip, with strange but endearing characters...


ABOVE: Some of you non-parents may recognize these characters from a recent great car commercial.

In conducting a little research, I found that YGG is quite popular on college campuses as well. Not surprising. With the funky visuals, great modern sounding music, strange but child-friendly and instructive scenarios, and hip special guests (Jack Black, The Shins, Andy Samberg, Tony Hawk, The Roots, Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo, etc.), I can see the appeal. The show was co-created by lead singer Christian Jacobs of the band Aquabats, which explains a lot.


ABOVE: Here's "Party In My Tummy"

Last weekend we went to visit and stay with some friends in Houston (who don't have any kids), and once we started to tell them about YGG, they told us that they watch it all the time (usually while enjoying an adult substance). I guess that is the sign of a great kids show, adults and toddlers both get into it.

No comments: