Thursday, January 21, 2010

New Peter Gabriel

I'm a huge Peter Gabriel fan as many of you know. I think Gabriel is one of the most unique and creative artists I've ever come across, and I follow his musical trail anywhere it goes. His music, voice and writing hit me deeper than almost anyone else. Since his pace for releasing new records has slowed to about one a decade since the 1990's, I am looking forward to his new record Scratch My Back coming out 2/15. Admittedly, it is rather humorous that this is his first new release since 2002's Up and it is a record full of...covers. Couldn't write a new batch of tunes in 8 years, Peter? He covers an interesting array of artists (David Bowie, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Lou Reed, Paul Simon, Bon Iver, Neil Young, Talking Heads, Randy Newman and others).

For me, the key to good covers is that you do something different with them. Based on the two tracks I've heard so far ("My Body is a Cage" from Arcade Fire and Bowie's "Heroes"), he definitely accomplishes that. The record is all orchestral (no drums, guitars, etc.) I've listened to "Heroes" about ten times now. Absolutely gorgeous and totally reconstructed. Or, should I say, deconstructed. Starting at a glacial pace with Gabriel doing it almost spoken word, it has a wonderful, dramatic payoff about halfway through. I think Bowie would approve. So fine, it will be covers. But count me in as very interested based on what I've heard so far. Full review upon release, of course.

I think it is rather silly and petty that he says he will not perform or probably even show up for Genesis' induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March. They didn't even break up acrimoniously, and he is still good friends with them all. He claims that it would require too much rehearsal to get something together. Really? I can understand not wanting to put on the 25 minute "Supper's Ready," but you couldn't get up there and belt out a little "I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)" or some "Carpet Crawlers"? Is that too much to ask, Pete? Come on, dude!

No comments: