Saturday, January 23, 2010

Conan's Last Night

Last night was Conan O'Brien's last night as host of the Tonight Show. The last couple of weeks have been fascinating to watch, as he eviscerated NBC on a nightly basis. He did some of that again last night, but during the second half of the show, he seemed relaxed and reflective. And hey, he isn't exactly hurting with his $45 million settlement package he got from the network.

I like Conan a lot (much more than Leno), but I have to say that I never thought he was exactly right for the Tonight Show. His quirky humor seemed to fit better in that later time slot. I loved his last monologue. Very classy, a bit emotional. Also, I dug Neil Young coming on and playing "Long May You Run" for Conan. Awesome. Neil looked about 2000 years old, but still sounded great.

My hope and prediction for Conan O'Brien: once he is legally able to return to television by the terms of his settlement (September), he will sign with Fox (who is chomping at the bit to get him) and he will kick ass with a new, innovative talk show that will go up against Leno.

No comments: