Monday, December 14, 2009

We Are A Nielson Family

I have waited for this moment all of my life. My wife and I have been chosen to be one of the mysterious and all power Nielson's Families. As most of you surely know, Nielson's tracks TV viewing habits of a random sampling of American families around the country. Networks cancel or renew TV shows based on Nielson's ratings. I knew it was a good deal from the get-go when I opened the Nielson's package and there were two whole dollars in cash in the package. That's right. We get paid to watch TV and then tell them what we are watching.

They picked a good family, because we watch a lot of TV. So, what will they find? We watch a lot of cable dramas because they are better. The "Dexter" Season 4 finale last night, for instance? Quite great. I thought John Lithgow was outstanding on "Dexter" this season. ("Dexter" is a Showtime show). On the other hand, "Californication" tanked this season. Seasons 1 and 2 were lots of fun, but this last season that mecifully ended last night was horrible. Can't wait for the next season of "Big Love" on HBO in the Spring. "Nurse Jackie" was good on Showtime as well.


ABOVE: John Lithgow and Michael C. Hall play "competing" serial killers in the great 4th season of "Dexter"

"Modern Family" is the best new comedy this season. Wonderful, and it is the heir to the cult favorite but ratings killed "Arrested Development." We keep our reality viewing down to Bravo's "Top Chef" and the old warhorse "Survivor." Best season ever of "Survivor," by the way. Go Russell! Looking forward to the fun "Chuck" starting back up in January. And I will do everything in my considerable power as a NIELSON FAMILY to save the great "Friday Night Lights."


ABOVE: "Modern Family" is the funniest show on network TV

My wife enjoys many of the sci-fi-tinged shows like "Fringe," "Doll House," etc. Both of those are quality, for what they are. Unfortunately, she also enjoys the two worst shows on television: the insipid "Brothers and Sisters" and "Grey's Anatomy" spin-off "Private Practice" (which is so bad that it makes "Grey's Anatomy" look like Shakespeare). Normally I would use my immense power as a NIELSON FAMILY to do my best to cancel those two blights on modern culture, but my wife will unfortunately rate our household as one that watches them.


ABOVE: I hope that Russell wins "Survivor" this season. This Houston oil man supposedly made over $1 million last year, but told his fellow Survivors that he was a struggling fireman/survivor of Hurricane Katrina (where he, as he tearfully lied, lost his dog in the floods). Russell decided on his first night to empty everyone's canteens and burn their socks in the fire as they slept. He has found three immunity idols so far with no clues given to him. He has made this season lots of fun to watch.

9 comments:

dre said...

I'm not a big fan of Russell but he does make the show interesting. Of course, I've only seen 2 episodes. We're a little behind down under.

ANCIANT said...

I want to hear more about Russell. Insane.

We also watch a lot of TV and I agree with you about Modern Family. So good. It makes me happy. I'm going to pester the producers about reading my spec in January for sure.

We don't have Showtime, but we do watch all the Bravo and HBO shows. Let me also turn your attention to a show on TLC called "BBQ Pitmasters." It's about competitive BBQ teams and it is AWESOME. I've only seen one episode so it's possible it will not stand up to repeated viewing, but so far I'm excited.

Parks and Recreation is also growing on me.

JMW said...

I'm not sure how the Nielsen people will feel about you misspelling their name throughout the entire post (sometimes in all caps), but hopefully you will remain in their good graces.

As for your viewing habits: I've always found the premise of Dexter dubious, at best, but there are "competing" serial killers now? That's incredibly lame.

Brothers and Sisters is not THAT bad, from the few episodes I've seen. Certainly better than Grey's Anatomy. And Survivor?? You're watching Survivor?! R... I mean, Dez, it's almost 2010. It's time to let Survivor die a natural death.

Dezmond said...

"Competing" was a misleading and poor word choice on my part. They weren't competing. But in most seasons there is at least another serial killer whom Dexter gets to know and/or hunts down. This last season it was Lithgow.

I rather enjoy the premise of Dexter. The guy is a serial killer who recognizes that he has these urges but also has enough of a core of morality to understand that it is wrong and he needs to somehow control his urges. He comes up with a sort of compromise of sorts, giving himself an outlet for his urges but acting as the extreme vigilante. Hunting the hunters, so to speak, because who is better equipped to find and dispose of the bad guys than one of their own? It has made for some intriguing stories.

And as a writer, you ought to know that whatever the premise, good TV lives or dies by the quality of writing. And the writing on "dexter" has usually been great. Normally I can't stand the "voiceover", but much of "Dexter" depends on his own internal dialogue, and that has become one of the best parts of the show. Often funny, often interesting. So wrong on "Dexter," although from your comment it doesn't sound as if you have even viewed a single episode.

"Brothers and Sisters" IS that bad. I have been subjected to many hours of this show, under protest. Let's talk about writing again. Compare the snappy writing on "Dexter" to the crap that comes out every Sunday on "Brothers and Sisters?" Please.

Yes, I am still watching "Survivor". That is a show that depends on the personalities of the cast each season, not a team of writers having to come up with new ideas. So this season can be as fresh as the first if they chose the right people. And this season they certainly did.

Dezmond said...

I would rather watch a full season of "Grey's Anatomy" from beginning to end in one sitting than watch a single episode of "Brothers and Sisters" (or "Private Practice" for that matter). And I'm no fan of "Grey's...", mind you, but it is at least tolerable most of the time.

pockyjack said...

Brothers and Sisters is that bad

dre said...

I was so glad to see Natalie win Survivor. She didn't deserve it, of course, but it was great to see Russell's face after losing. His offer of $10K to be called "the sole survivor" by Jeff was priceless.

He did everything right except figure out how the jury would vote. This time they voted for the person they wanted to give the money to and that clearly was not Russell.

Dezmond said...

I don't understand why you would be glad that anyone but Russell win this season. He played the best game. Hands down. His only real misstep was, unfortunately, at the end. He seemed to think that the game was over when there were three of them left. The speaches and questions answered in front of the jury are part of the game. He obviously should have thought harder about his cockiness in front of the jury. That does not take away from the fact that, overall, he played miles ahead of anyone else this season. That was ridiculous. Outwit? Check. Outplay? Check. Outlast? Check. Russell is the only one to fit the criteria of the game. That was BS.

dre said...

Dez - you are making the same mistake that Russell made. You are assuming the jury has to vote for the person that meets your definition of who should win. The jury can vote for who they want for whatever reasons they choose. That's a big part of the game. I agree that Russell outwitted people but the jury didn't like him and didn't want to give him the money. I don't blame them. The only disappointment for me was that neither of the other 2 finalists were really worthy, either, but I'd rather see Natalie get it than Russell. It was a good finish to a good season.