Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Brush With the Sort of Famous...

My students were working on a project in my AP U.S. History class the other day, and as is often the case, I had my iPod playing while they worked (U.S. History is not the only history I teach my students). I believe I had some Allman Brothers on tap while they wrote me something about Reconstruction. Southern theme, so it worked.

One of my students asked me out of the blue whether I had ever heard of Sam the Sham. Being well versed in rock history, I of course immediately responded "Woolly Bully!" Turns out that Sam Samudio (aka Sam the Sham) is this kid's great uncle or something. "Woolly Bully" is one of the all time great 60's garage party tunes, and Samudio is one of the first great latino rockers. I immediately grilled my student on everything he could tell me about his uncle Sam, and it turns out the guy has a fascinating story. I'm going to ask my student to get in touch with Sam for me and set up some interviews. There is a book here. I'm serious.

1 comment:

dre said...

I wish I had teachers like you when I was in school. You are too cool for school.