Saturday, February 14, 2009

Guitars and Couches

I'm sure most of my readers have played a variation of Guitar Hero or Rock Band by now. For those of you who have not, they are one of the newer big things in video gaming. Essentially, you have a guitar-shaped console and try and play along with your favorite rock stars on the TV set. A series of color-coded notes go by on the screen, and you have to hit the right buttons on your guitar as they go by. Rock Band is a ton of fun, because in addition to the guitars, you've got the option of competing as a vocalist or a drummer. Four people can play together simultaneously as an entire band. As singer, the video game can match your pitch and judge you on how well you are matching the vocals; as drummer you have an entire drum set with electronic sensors in the drum pads to determine how accurately you are following the drums of the song.


ABOVE: 'Rock Band 2' equipment

As I said, it is a ton of fun. I've spent many a night with friends jamming on our virtual world tour. You can even have a battle of the bands over the internet with other bands. (An image of my good friend Big Jim screaming along to The Pixies' "Debaser" will be one of my all time favorite memories in life.)

When I first heard about these games, I scoffed. I am a real musician, I know how to play a real guitar reasonably well. Why would I want to play a glorified version of Simon? Plus, I had philosophical issues with the game. Is the popularity of these games just another example of our instant gratification culture? People no longer have to learn chords and practice for hours in order to jam on some Guns 'n Roses. All they need to do now is master a video game. Is this just another step towards digitalizing the pursuit of music, which was once a somewhat mystical and uniquely human endeavor? Would this discourage people from actually picking up a real guitar?

I think that I have decided I am OK with the Guitar Hero / Rock Band Age in which we live. Judging from the amount of real guitars I still see slung over the shoulders of students at the school where I teach, the guitar culture is still going strong.

There is a Guitar Hero tournament scheduled at the school that I may enter and compete against some of my own students. I am unbeatable on The Who's "The Seeker."

Plus, without Rock Band, I would have never been witness to Big Jim dancing around the living room to "Debaser." Or hear my real musical collaborator Dave strain on the high notes of "Juke Box Hero" (something for which I still make fun of him). Or shout myself hoarse on Devo's "Uncontrollable Urge." That can't be bad.

7 comments:

Johannes said...

I'm jealous. I'd love to play with you guys!

pockyjack said...

I did this once and had a fun enough time until I saw a picture that a spouse took of the four of us playing this. Needless to say it was depressing and somewhat disturbing. I don't think I can bring myself to play this again after seeing that

Unknown said...

Pocky, I love how you say "Needless to say". (I'm always amused how concerned you are with your image.) I have a feeling that out of everyone who comments on this blog, you would be the only one who would be "depressed" and "disturbed" about a picture of you playing Rock Band.

Personally, I love the game, and I play on a VERY regular basis. In fact, some of the most enjoyable evenings that I have had over the past year or two have been centered around playing Rock Band with friends.

pockyjack said...

You are joking right?

Dezmond said...

Pocky, were you ever young?

Unknown said...

He was, but that period of his life depresses and disturbs him.

JMW said...

I could definitely be depressed and disturbed by a pic of me playing Rock Band. Just for the record.