Monday, December 29, 2008

A Moment to Remember Those Who Left Us in 2008

Don't know why, but my favorite part of the Academy Awards ceremony (which I watch religiously each year) is the montage of movie folks who died during the year. While an obituary cannot capture the meaning of a person's life, I've always enjoyed the exercise of trying to encapsulate the essence of one's existence through obituary writing. It forces you to boil down each person's real "life's work" (which is all that they accomplished during their lifetime) and comment on it in a few short paragraphs (or longer, when warrented).

I did not comment on the passing of every notable this year, that is not the purpose of GNABB. But reviewing my GNABB Cemetary, I see that the vast majority of obituaries that I chose to write were of entertainers. That makes sense because entertainers are people that we all think we get to know collectively as a society and therefore their passing gives us something in common to reflect upon. Secondly, if any of you know me even in passing, you know that I am an obsessive about music, movies, etc. Just look at what I have chosen to post about here over the last year.

While more important actors died this year (like Charlton Heston), the one that had the most direct impact on me was the subject of the second post in GNABB's history, the obituary for Roy Scheider. I watched "Jaws" probably 32,693 times as a child, so Roy Scheider has always been a favorite. Even when he was acting in material that was beneath his talents (which was often), Scheider had a class and professionalism that was unsurpassed. Plus, he always seemed like a supercool dude.


ABOVE: The underrated Roy Scheider died in February of this year

The big film notable who died this year was, of course, Paul Newman. An argument could be made that he was the greatest American film actor.


ABOVE: Paul Newman: a beautiful man in every way

I did not write an obituary on David Foster Wallace because I don't read much other than nonfiction these days, but he was obviously a titanic talent. My friend JMW wrote a great remembrance of Wallace over at ASWOBA. Check it out.

On a personal note, the most important passing for me was Toby. I consider myself very fortunate to have gotten to know him.

2 comments:

JMW said...

Dez, thanks for the link. Honestly, I think DFW's nonfiction was his best stuff, so you should give it a shot. Get the collection A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again. Start with the title essay (the last one in the book, I think, about his time on a cruise ship) or the one about the Illinois state fair. Hilarious stuff.

Helios said...

This image as well as many others of Paul Newman was taken by Leo Fuchs (www.leofuchs.com) and is available for sale at the Helios Gallery. We have modern reprints, limited edition prints and vintage prints of Rock Hudson in some of his best moments on and off the set, in real life and in many films.

The website is www.theheliosgallery.com and www.leofuchs.com/pages/paul_newman_gallery1.htm




The Helios Gallery

http://www.theheliosgallery.com/servlet/StoreFront/


Paul Newman Modern Prints

http://www.theheliosgallery.com/servlet/the-Collectors-cln-Paul-Newman/Categories/