Saturday, December 20, 2008

I'm Old. Or, Dez's Favorite Music of 2008

Looking over the list of 2008 releases that I bought and that I still enjoy, I realize that I am old. It is not that I do not seek out newer artists or that I am one of those grizzled classic rock veterans insisting that music ain't what it used to be. But...music ain't what it used to be.

Dez's Favorite New Release of 2008:
Coldplay - Viva la Vida
If there is any band out there to take up the mantle of U2 it is probably these guys (they even have Brian Eno producing). Their fourth release is by far their best, least derivative, and most sonically diverse and interesting. Opening with the much too short, joyous intrumental "Life in Technicolor," the record immediately announces that Coldplay has awakened from their stupor. "Lost!" is one of my favorite songs I've heard all year, while the infectious title track has deservedly gotten a ton of airplay. I like that they finally let their inner Prog Rock band loose with extended tunes like "Lovers in Japan / Reign of Love" and "Yes" with its three minute coda that is probably my favorite three minutes of the entire record.

Dez's three runner-up favorites of the year:
They are all live records from veterans who show that in the live setting, they've all still got it. In fact, they have never sounded better in the live setting than on these new releases.

Jeff Beck - Performing This Week...Live at Ronnie Scott's
The Police - Certifiable
Lindsay Buckingham - Live at Bass Performance Hall


These are three artists whom I respect a great deal. Jeff Beck defies the rules of aging for classic rock guitarists, although he never really fit in that mold to begin with. The older he gets, the better and more intense his playing. I will continue to trumpet Jeff Beck as the greatest living rock guitarist to my dying breath. Here he finally has a band that really complements his skills, and this CD is probably his best showcase yet. I saw the Police reunion tour last year (and paid more money for it than I have any show I've ever attended). It was so worth the wait. I own several live Police albums, and to be honest, they were always a bit sloppy live. A much better and tighter studio band. But on this tour, they finally learned how to play together! One of the best concerts I have ever attended in my long concertgoing career, and a great live record to remember the tour. Lindsay Buckingham is one weird dude, but he is also one of the most underrated guitarists and songwriters out there. He performs several solo acoustic jawdroppers here, but also rocks out with a great band. (It's cool that he plays his fun tune "Holiday Road" from 'Nat. Lampoon's Vacation').


ABOVE: Jeff Beck - guitar god

Other 2008 Releases that I liked:
Ryan Adams - Cardinology
Big Head Todd & the Monsters - All The Love You Need
Jackson Browne - Solo Acoustic 2
Lindsay Buckingham - The Gift of Screws (it's been a busy year for Lindsay)
The Cure - 4:13 Dream
Ray Davies - Working Man's Cafe
The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
Steve Winwood - Nine Lives

Biggest Disappointment of 2008:
The Streets - Everything Is Borrowed

Mike Skinner's (aka 'The Streets') debut was one of the most exciting and interesting rap records I'd ever heard. Everything he's put out since is a disappointment after that peak. His latest is no exception.

Worst Record of 2008:
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu Live

So much wrong here. For a group who stakes their reputation on peerless harmonies, their voices are particularly ragged these days (let's face it, Stills lost his voice in the 1980's). As celebrated as this foursome is, they are generally better when performing separately as CSN and Neil Young. Neil's presence overwhelms the others who have to defer to him just to convince him to still work with them, while Neil's maverick streak is held in check as he tries to blend with the other three. Neil doesn't really blend well with anyone. Neil Young's sloppy, hastily assembled and not very good record Living With War serves as the basis for this live show. They pointlessly reproduce most of that record here, trying to remain relevant as protest artists whining about the war in Iraq. It is a very sad record, but not for the reasons that they intended.

OK, your turn. Favorite music that you picked up in 2008? I would love some fresh suggestions, so I'm all ears...

4 comments:

JMW said...

Dez, I didn't have a great year with music either, but you're not doing such a great job if you want to avoid sounding like a grizzled veteran. Your three runners-up are live records by The Police, Jeff Beck, and Buckingham?? What is this, 1984? Good lord.

And you're still buying Big Head Todd records? And you think Coldplay is the best of the year?? (I liked the single, too, but come on -- Coldplay...)

Jackson Browne and Steve Winwood?? In 2008?? My head is hurting.

Well, like I said, I didn't think it was a great year for music. And I'm getting old, too. I was happy with what R.E.M. did, but I'm not going to lie and say it's awesome. My favorite records this year were released by The Hold Steady, Bon Iver, Hotel Lights, Sun Kil Moon, Jennifer O'Connor, Tift Merritt, Sambassadeur, Frightened Rabbit, and itsnotyouitsme.

Dezmond said...

That Coldplay record is a genuinely great record. I did not hear anything better from start to finish this year.

JMW said...

I'm lukewarm on Coldplay, generally, but my larger point is: Of course you didn't hear any better pop/rock music from start to finish this year, when the other contenders were people like Steve Winwood (who I like, as you know), who was born in 1948.

Dezmond said...

I know. That is why I entitled the post "I'm Old." It is not from lack of interest. I am genuinely interested in finding new stuff. I did list the latest Hold Steady, didn't I? Enlighten me. We should exchange some music. Send me some stuff that you feel fairly confident will still sound good ten years from now. I'm all ears.