Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Super Trends

In recent years the onslaught of superhero/comic book-based films has reached a fever pitch. This is not an unusual thing in Hollywood; when a certain formula produces results, they tend to do it again and again and again. Not counting early attempts, the “modern” era of comics to screen features started with 1978’s Superman. For my tastes, Superman is one of the blandest of all superheroes. The guy can fly (big deal) and is real strong. That's really it. His main competition within the DC Comics universe, Batman, has always been much more intriguing. At any rate, from '78 through the 80's, DC Comics’ Superman and Batman were the only major heroes deemed safe bets by the movie studios. But in the 1990’s and beyond, the flood gates opened.

ABOVE: Superman is boring

I’m not a big superhero fan and I’ve never read comic books. But this trend in the industry has interested me over the years (just how obscure can they go? I read that Ant Man is actually in development), and I enjoy a well done fantasy/action flick just as much as any other red-blooded American.

Most of these films start with the “origin story”, revealing how the superhero became so super in the first place. If the film is a flop, then it usually stops there. If not, the studio strikes gold with a successful franchise of sequels, featuring the hero battling a revolving door of ridiculous villains. Even more important, financially speaking, are the endless promotions with fast food chains and children’s toys (thanks, Star Wars). The franchise usually runs its course, and then studios can pull the ultimate recycling trick with the “reboot”. All they need to do is wait the appropriate amount of time, and start over as if the first series never happened. The studios count on short memories from the viewing public. You can even retell the origin story. This has been done so far with great success for Batman, and to a lesser degree of success with Superman. The first Hulk film flopped, so Marvel Studios is pretending that one never happened and they are starting over with The Incredible Hulk this summer. Another recent trend can be characterized as “go dark, go adult”; which I welcome, as those generally are more interesting.

Most superheroes have one of two homes, DC Comics or Marvel Comics. DC heroes with films out are: Superman, Batman, Supergirl, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Catwoman and Constantine. In development or coming soon are Watchmen, The Flash, Wonder Woman, The Green Lantern and the all-star extravaganza Justice League. On the other side of the ledger is Marvel: X-Men, Spiderman, Howard the Duck, Fantastic Four, Blade, Daredevil, The Incredible Hulk, Punisher, Elektra and Ghost Rider all have films. In development or coming soon are Iron Man, Captain America, Wolverine (X-Men spinoff), Ant Man, Black Panther, Deathlok, Dr. Strange, Luke Cage, Nick Fury, Thor and Venom. They also have their own all-star flick in the works for The Avengers. Fans of 'Entourage' on HBO will be wondering where the hell Aquaman is, but no word on that one.

ABOVE: Recovering alcoholic/drug addict and depressive actor Robert Downey, Jr. plays alcoholic and troubled billionaire/superhero Tony Stark/Iron Man

Marvel has gone so far as to form their own movie studio, and they plan on releasing a steady diet of two superhero films per year for the foreseeable future. This year we get Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. Iron Man has always been a favorite of mine, so I am looking forward to that one. Robert Downey, Jr. is an inspired choice for the role of Tony Stark/Iron Man. I will be interested to see the tone they use here. Iron Man is a rather ambiguous hero at best, as far as his character and intentions go. He is decidedly more right wing than most other heroes; and Tony Stark is a multifaceted character as well, battling depression and alcoholism when he’s not flying around saving the world in his tin suit. Downey’s own well publicized battles with substance abuse make him a great choice to play the troubled Stark/Iron Man.

ABOVE: I prefer Lou Ferigno's interpretation of The Hulk (70's TV). Notice the paint is rubbing off on his right hand.

Edward Norton is also an intriguing choice to play the Hulk, although his public spat with the studio over editing of the film and his subsequent refusal to promote it does not bode well. I am also looking forward to the upcoming Dark Knight, the second Batman film in the latest reboot, featuring the recently deceased Heath Ledger in what is by all accounts a mesmerizing and creepy interpretation of one of the great villains, The Joker.

ABOVE: Heath Ledger as The Joker in the upcoming Batman feature, Dark Knight. It was his last completed film before his death.

So, I’m interested in your thoughts. Favorite superhero films? Ones than need a good “reboot”? Ones that should be put to rest?

7 comments:

JMW said...

I learned to read with comics when I was really small. Then I kept loving them until I was 10 or so. The Hulk was my favorite, so I was disappointed in that steaming pile directed by Ang Lee (especially since I think he's talented). I'm cautiously hopeful about the Norton version. The preview makes it look much better than the first one -- but I don't know why they have to use such ridiculous-looking CGI effects for the Hulk. Just make him a really-big-but-real dude!! (And make sure the paint doesn't rub off this time; hilarious.)

I'm not a big fan of Superman, either. I really liked the first X-Men movie; that might be the best, in my opinion. But they tend to be bad, because I don't think comics translate well to the screen. The first Spider Man was ok but boring, I thought; the second one was idiotic; I skipped the third.

I'd look forward to a Captain America movie -- that was one of the comics on my B-list of favorites. But really, Hulk, X-Men and Spider Man were my three favorite comics, and since they've been hit or miss (mostly miss) at the movies, I'd prefer they just stop making these things. But of course, in the malls and cineplexes of America, stupidity and children rule. So they'll keep comin'....

Tommy! said...

I think IRONMAN looks like it's gonna be very good & of course the Dark Knight is gonna ROCK!!

BATMAN FAN? Visit The Bat-Blog!
http://www.bat-blog.com

Thanks, Tommy

Dezmond said...

JMW, I wouldn't have pegged you for a comics reader or a Hulk fan.

Grandes Cigarro said...

I love the new Batman series with Bale.

I'm glad the Spiderman movies are done.

pockyjack said...

I actually thought the first Spiderman was good and the second even better. Keep in mind that the Spiderman movies came after a fairly long hiatus of super hero movies. The last series of any relevance was the Batman series, all of which were clownish disappointments, though commercially successful. So despite some ill fitting CGI, the Spider man series was actually relatively well developed. The third should never be watched. Ever. EVER EVER EVER! It made the classic Super Hero movie mistake (See batman above): Introduce too many characters that don't really tie together and don't build up the back stories at all.

I will say that I think that the most recent Bale Batman film is probably the best super hero film of all time. I have no idea how the next one is going to be though and am always cynical when it comes to summer blockbusters. Discuss.

Dezmond said...

Pockymon, many folks agree with you on the first two Spiderman flicks. I know my wife does, she loves those two movies. I don't quite get why everyone is so excited about the second Spiderman, though. I thought it was average. The first one was good, although I had hoped for a little more for The Green Goblin. That villain has as much cinematic potential as any comic book villain, and as good as Willem Dafoe is an actor, I was disappointed in how they did the Goblin. What is with this trend of making the villains all sensitive and emotionally vulnerable and shit? They are supposed to be scary and kick ass, plain and simple. The vulnerability should be reserved for our hero. And in Spiderman 3 they certainly did pile on the vulnerability. Peter Parker/Spiderman cried no less than three times throughout that movie.

I agree that the first of the Batman reboots was truly a superior superhero flick. I am confident they can keep that tone with this next one.

pockyjack said...

I think the reason that I liked the second one is that I thought the green goblin was kinda weak. It looked like a costume that got off the rack a walmart. Again, I am not saying that I "LOVE" either of these two movies, but compared to what came before, you have to admit that they actually did try to concentrate on the story and not just blowing stuff up and CGI