Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Playoff Picture

GNABB Programming Note: I did slog through the Democratic Debate last night, hopefully I will post my penetrating analysis tonight or tomorrow. So that is coming. But on to more important things...

Last night was the final night of the regular NBA season, and this weekend we start NBA Season No. 2: the playoffs. Before the games last night, spots 3-8 in the Western Conference were yet to be settled. I can't remember the last time that happened. But this morning, we know the match-ups:

WEST

L.A. Lakers (1) vs. Denver Nuggets (8)
Lakers should handle this with little trouble. Denver doesn't play defense.

New Orleans Hornets (2) vs. Dallas Mavericks (7)
Very interesting match-up. New Orleans has been outstanding this season, exceeding everyone's expectations due to Chris Paul and David West's amazing play. But are they ready for prime time? This Hornets squad is comprised of playoff rookies, and Dallas has a lot to prove after last season's first round collapse. Perhaps the Mavs are more comfortable in the "underdog" position. I say Dallas wins this, but it will be a tough series.

San Antonio Spurs (3) vs. Phoenix Suns (6)
This is ridiculous for a first round match-up. In previous years, this would be the Western Conference Finals. There are so many storylines here, THIS is the first round series to watch. It is hard to make a prediction, but I say this is Phoenix's year to finally prevail over their nemesis. And the Spurs won't have Cheap Shot Robert Horry to go out and slam Nash into the scorer's table this time around.

Utah Jazz (4) vs. Houston Rockets (5)
I am pulling for my Rockets, of course, but I've got to give this one to the Jazz. Once again, Tracy McGrady will not advance beyond the first round. Although, the Rockets have home court advantage because they have the better record (Utah won their division, hence the higher technical seed), and while being almost unbeatable at home, the Jazz have not been great on the road. But, I still say Jazz here. I hope I'm wrong.

EAST

Boston Celtics (1) vs. Atlanta Hawks (8)
I'm happy for Atlanta finally making the playoffs, and I like their young group of players. Boston sweeps.

Detroit (2) vs. Philadelphia 76ers (7)
Detroit is Boston's only real competition in the East. Detroit wins this fairly easily unless they get too relaxed (as they sometimes do when facing inferior opponents).

Orlando Magic (3) vs. Toronto Raptors (6)
The series I am least interested in. I say Orlando prevails.

Cleveland Cavaliers (4) vs. Washington Wizards (5)
This has become quite a rivalry (the third year in a row these two have met in the first round of the playoffs). With Lebron's gimpy back in question and Arenas' timely return, I say this is the year Washington overcomes Cleveland.

Anyway you slice it, these playoffs are going to be AWESOME. Especially in the West. And in the East, I can't wait for Boston and Detroit in the Eastern Conference Finals. Games start Saturday. Be there!

1 comment:

JMW said...

These playoffs do shape up to be ridiculous. Hornets-Mavs and Suns-Spurs are just NOT first-round matchups. Unbelievable.

I guess I'm the only person on the planet (I've checked) who thinks Denver could give L.A. trouble. I'm not predicting the upset, but Denver has some serious firepower. They're happy to win games 130-128, and I could see them winning a couple like that against L.A.

Orlando-Toronto?? Snooze-fest.

My predictions, not that anyone's asking:

Lakers, Hornets, Suns, Jazz
Celtics, Pistons, Magic, Cavs
Jazz, Suns
Celtics, Pistons
Suns, Celtics
Celtics