Friday, July 1, 2016

Three Records I'm Supposed To Love But Don't (and Three I'm Not Supposed To Love But Do)

As an avid maker and reader of lists, I have become quite familiar with the consensus critical (and fan) picks for the greatest albums of all time. I agree with many of the choices. But there are three records that are considered to be amongst the greatest in rock/pop history that I have never warmed to. I’ve tried. I won’t argue against their importance or influence, but I’m just talking about my personal loves and dislikes, and I just can’t subjectively say that I love these records. Even though I’m supposed to.

1. The Beach Boys – Pet Sounds (1966). I can appreciate the genius of Brian Wilson, but sometimes I feel a little like cranky Mike Love when I say that perhaps it is sometimes, just maybe, a little overstated. Now there is one song on this record that I do love. In fact, I agree with Paul McCartney when he said that “God Only Knows” may be the most beautiful pop song ever written. But I can’t get into the rest of this record. I know it is Exhibit A of 60’s studio genius, pushing The Beatles to new heights (leading them eventually to Number 2, below). But as much as I try, I still hear the trite, sunny Beach Boys clichés. It remains in the shallows and never goes to the deep blue ocean for me.

2. The Beatles – Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967). You read the contemporary reviews and commentary, and this record was going to alter the very face of music itself, bring eternal world peace and cure cancer. Well, it did none of those things. In more recent critical assessments, it has become popular to put a few Beatles records above this one, but nobody really disparages it. This is one of my least favorite Beatles albums, only superior to the consensus bottom of the Beatles barrel (Yellow Submarine, etc.) Even John Lennon later dismissed many of these songs as lightweight. I agree with him. Sure, “A Day in the Life” is truly brilliant, I dig the title track, “Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds” is cool. But most of the rest comes off to me as experimentation for the sake of experimentation, and trying way too hard to sound whimsical. And we get another tedious George Harrison Indian music piece (“Within You Without You”). Don’t get me wrong, I do love me some Harrison, but only when he is sans sitar.

3. Nirvana – Nevermind (1991). I remember taking a road trip with a girlfriend when this was just hitting. She was gushing over it, I dismissed it as a “flash in the pan” and derivative. OK, I was wrong. But I still don’t really dig it at all. I understand how, after the plastic 80’s (and I love the plastic 80’s, which perhaps is my problem), this was a breath of fresh, authentic, rock and roll air. I get it. But I don’t get Kurt Cobain’s alleged genius. Somebody please explain it to me.

I figure I should now flip this. Here are three records that are critically disliked or dismissed, yet I love them…

1. The Rolling Stones – Undercover (1983). I will defend this record all day (and night) long. Generally considered one of their worst (esteemed critic Charles Christgau, in fact, considers it their worst record. Yet he loves Dirty Work, which actually was their worst record). Christgau and others attack this record as mean, brutish, and violent. To which I answer, “and the problem is?” I mean, this is the Rolling Stones. Keith and Mick’s relationship was nearing its nadir (one more record and both would embark on solo careers for awhile, and they were already sniping in the press), and this was one of the few records that they never toured for. All that tension comes out in the music, though. “Undercover of the Night” is one of their greatest singles, in my opinion. Harnessing the same modern energy as “Miss You” yet remaining Stones. “Too Much Blood,” “Pretty Beat Up,” “It Must Be Hell” all seethe with anger and aggression. And Mick’s Texas Chainsaw Massacre spoken interlude in “Too Much Blood” is really funny.

2. Bryan Adams – Reckless (1984). Not that this record is considered bad, but it is generally dismissed as middle of the road, glossy 80's, non-edgy pop/rock and not taken that seriously. And maybe it is all of that. But it is also one of my favorite records of that entire decade. It is nothing more than pop/rock, but masterfully crafted pop/rock. It is all inviting rhythm guitars, soaring pop hook choruses. “Run To You,” “One Night Love Affair,” “Somebody,” kick ass duet with Tina Turner “It’s Only Love,” even cheeseball power ballad “Heaven” and silly nostalgic “Summer of ‘69”…I dig it all. So this is not so much a record that I am supposed to hate (although in many serious music fan circles I would be expected to), but it is more one that I am not supposed to like nearly as much as I do.

3. Thomas Dolby – The Golden Age of Wireless (1982). Similar to The Bryan Adams case, where this record is not considered bad, but for many it is probably seen as an 80’s novelty (as it contains his one big hit, “She Blinded Me With Science,” and is filled with other science/technologically themed tunes). Although, amongst listeners who really like 80’s synth-pop, it is a very respected record. Anyway, as with the selection above, I love this record way more than I’m supposed to. I think Dolby is incredibly talented. If he had stayed the course with this debut (and the even better sophomore effort, The Flat Earth), he would have a large, impressive catalogue. But after those two records, the discography becomes spotty (although I highly recommend the live, solo performance CD The Sole Inhabitant, that is excellent). At least here and on Flat Earth, Dolby is an underrated songwriter, crafting smart, catchy, complex, witty synthpop that was perfect for his time, and if you like that style, stands the test of time. Everyone knows the hit, but check out the so great Cold War tune “One of Our Submarines.” (NOTE: get the U.S. version of the album, it is much better than the UK version).

16 comments:

George Tyler Crock said...

Dez love this post. Totally agree with you on Nevermind. That album along with Pearl Jam helped to make the decades of the 90s and beyond rock music's worst.

As for me my three records that I am supposed to hate but love are:

KISS-Animalize
Out of all the non make up era albums, I love this album the best. From the cover to the songs (I like 7 out of 9 of them), this is the most 80s record the band ever made. Also is a great exhibit to show why glam metal was great with examples ranging from the can-do swagger of "Get All You Can Take" to the action movie auditory realms of "Under the Gun", "I've Had Enough (Into the Fire)", "While the City Sleeps", "Thrills in the Night"; to the Spinal Tap song of "Burn Bitch Burn" and "Heaven's on Fire."

Rush-Albums from 1982-1991
I know I am cheating here, but this period of the band showed they could navigate the shifting musical tides of MTV. I love the synth driven sounds of Signals to the humanistic themes of Power Windows to the awesome rap breakdown section in Roll the Bones.

Yes-Big Generator:
I don't get why this album is hated. Great songs from the the anti-war song "Shoot High, Aim Low" to the best love songs the band made: "Rhythm of Love" (with Rabin's great guitar solo) and "Love Will Find A Way."

As for albums I am supposed to love but dislike well I agree with you on Nevermind. But that is it from me in this department.

Thoughts and response Dez?

Dezmond said...

Tyler, thanks for the comments. You know, I like Pearl Jam. To me, they got thrown in with the grunge movement, but they are basically a modern classic rock band. Note their collaborations/friendship with people like Neil Young and The Who. I agree with you that the 90's sucked musically.

I can respect any KISS choice for guilty pleasure / "like it even though you are supposed to hate it." I am a genuine fan of 70's KISS, but God bless you for picking anything post 70's.

I don't know, an awful lot of people like 80's Rush. But they were not critical darlings during that time.

LOVE Trevor Rabin-era Yes. Totally with you on Big Generator.

George Tyler Crock said...

Thanks Dez. No offense on Pearl Jam, that was my own personal musing. You can like what you like, for me personally I just can not stand Eddie Vedder's voice. His yarwling may have been unique but in my opinion brought us the awfulness that is Creed, Nickleback, and countless other rock bands of the 21st century. For me personally I like my rock vocalists to have some operatic elements to them with a bit of soul. But that is just me.

As for the band YES. If they are inducted into the Rock Hall it would be a shame if they snub Trevor Rabin. He basically saved them from being has beens.

Thoughts Dez?

George Tyler Crock said...

Also for 80s I know a lot of people like that era. I was refer to the hardcore fans of the band. Those fans do not like anything post Moving Pictures. Those fans like their stuff from 1974-1981. As a Rush fan I like that period as well, but I enjoy a band's whole career spectrum from their beginnings to their peak to the stuff after that peak.

Dezmond said...

We can agree to disagree on Pearl Jam. I don't think you can really blame them for what came after though. It's like how the movie Jaws changed the summer movie season. But even if it made it possible, Transformers can't be on the conscience of Jaws.

I will be one of those throwing a serious fit if Rabin is not inducted with Yes once they go into the Rockhall.

ANCIANT said...

This is a great idea for a post, Dez. It's funny, the wife and I were recently discussing Pet Sounds. I ended up saying more or less the same things as you--I know I'm supposed to like it, but it kind of leaves me indifferent. And, I've had similar conversations about Nevermind. To me, there's the 'phenomenon' that was Nirvana--and they were an admitted phenomenon for a few years--then there was Cobain's death and THEN there was the album. The album is fine, I've got nothing against it, but it's not some great masterpiece of music. It's actually a relatively poppy version of punk, and the fact that it came along right when people had burned out on 80s cheese AND Cobain then perfectly played out the script of Tortured Rock Genius (abetted and capitalized on by the always-parasitic Rolling Stone and the vile Jann Wenner) contributed to making the album a 'masterpiece.' But it's not.

So I'm with you on two of them. Now, Sgt Pepper's on the other hand--there you and I part ways. I always found that album magical. However, I will concede that part of my love and reverence for it might result in part from the time and context in which I discovered it--viz, in college, under the influence of a number of...Beatles-esque substances. So, probably that played a role. But I still listen to it today. "When I'm 64" (especially the part where Lennon comes in--'you'll be older too...' that sense of foreboding...) "Lovely Rita." Great! And I haven't even gotten to "Getting Better." (Featuring another great Lennon interjection--'couldn't get no worse'--perfectly illustrating how crucial was Lennon to McCartney, undercutting and balancing out his tendency towards the saccharine and pollyanna-ish). I don't know if I'd say it's their best album--probably, I wouldn't--but I do love it.

* * *
Big Generator! Yes! Why does that album never get love? "Shoot High Aim Low"--one of the very greatest (Rabin-era) Yes songs.

I'm going to have to think of some albums I like that other don't like so much. I'm sure there are many. Maybe a post for a later time. "Guilty Pleasures" as it were....

I mean, a lot of 70s prog rock is very much mocked and scorned by the cognoscenti. So there's one place to start.

George Tyler Crock said...

ANCIANT, I love your reasoning on why Nirvana and Nevermind are overrated. I could apply the same label to Green Day and their American Idiot album. I know GWB was a bad president, but was not evil incarnate. Also agree with you on Yes.

Dez, as for albums I am supposed to love but hate, I will list Nevermind, American Idiot, and any 70s American Punk albums (i. e. The Ramones, Patti Smith "Horses", etc.). Reason being is I am sick and tired of this cliche thrown around by rock journalists that the 1970s music was boring and punk was necessary. BS to that. UK punk was needed to prepare Britian for Thatcher and break it out of being dominated by novelty singles and an huge economic slump. American punk tried to make prog, arena rock (i.e. Styx, Boston, Foreigner, Kansas, Supertramp, Journey, etc.), hard rock and heavy metal look bad via rock critics that worshipped it way too much. Just my musings.

Thoughts ANCIANT and Dez?

Dezmond said...

Good point ANCIANT on that often a record depends on when and where you first heard it or got into it. And perhaps I was a tad harsh on SGT. PEPPER. I do like it more than most of their early records (which are basically singles surrounded by filler). But in my personal assessment, I would at least put HARD DAY'S NIGHT, HELP!, RUBBER SOUL, REVOLVER (my favorite Beatles record), the White Album and ABBEY ROAD ahead of SGT. PEPPER. I guess it is SO loved and revered that even though I don't hate it, I feel I need to knock it down to size whenever I discuss it, so I probably sound more negative than I actually feel on it.

Tyler, I feel similarly on late 70's American punk. Although some put Devo's debut (Q: ARE WE NOT MEN? A: WE ARE DEVO!) in that category, and that is one of my all time favorite records.

George Tyler Crock said...

Dez agreed! Devo are New Wave not punk!

Tim said...

I've been trying to think of albums that I'm not "supposed" to like but still do. I'm having a hard time, just because at this point I think it's become more or less standard to candidly admit that a lot of what was once thought disposable pop is actually high art (The Beatles, The Beach Boys, etc etc). Two albums that maybe would fit the bill: Def Lepard, Pyromania and Journey: Frontiers. I love both of those albums, more or less unapologetically. However, I'm not really sure that either qualify as ones that are critically 'unacceptable.' I also love Yes's Close to the Edge, which is maybe unacceptably bombastic and full of itself (which is what makes it so great, obviously). But I think enough people acknowledge the greatness of that album, that I'm not sure it counts either.
ANCIANT

ANCIANT said...

Oh no wait--thought of some good ones. Marillion! Marillion Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws. Both are pretty undeniable 'bad' albums--I mean, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit how much I like them--but I do like them. I do. "Clutching at straws...I'm still drowning..." Yes!!!

Dezmond said...

Anciant, I think Journey FRONTIERS qualifies (also a favorite record of mine). Journey has always been beloved by the masses, but generally despised by critics and music snobs. A band of the people.

Saxo Philologus said...

This is a great idea, Dez. I have to agree with ANCIANT on Sergeant Pepper's, though. Three albums I shouldn't like but do are:

1. Emerson, Lake, and Palmer: Tarkus

2. Uriah Heap, Demons and Wizards

3. Rick Wakeman, Journey to the Center of the Earth

Dr./Mrs. Saxo and I are totally with you on Nevermind. We recently decided that Hole was a better band than Nirvana, and Courtney Love a more talented and interested songwriter

Dezmond said...

Saxo, digging deep with the solo Rick Wakeman! Bold.

Tim said...

Dez--See if you can dig up the video of Rick Wakeman staging "Six Wives of Henry VIII" (correct me if I'm wrong here, Saxo--it is Six Wives, isn't it?) on an ICE RINK during one of his concerts? With like, skating 'horses' jousting on the ice. You cannot get any more ridiculous.
And awesome.
ANCIANT

Saxo Philologus said...

It was King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table (an album even better than Journey to the Center of the Earth, if that's possible) on ice. I learned about it because it was # 91 on VH1's 'Top 100 Most Horrifying Moments in Rock.'