Tuesday, June 30, 2015

RIP Chris Squire, 1948-2015

June 27th from henceforth shall be National Bass Player Memorial Day, a day to remember the fallen men (and women) who anchor rock bands. John Entwistle, the great bassist for The Who, died on June 27th in 2002. Thirteen years later to the day we lost Chris Squire, co-founder of progressive rock gods Yes. What are the odds? (Well, I guess 1 out of 365). Anyway, Squire was one of the true greats of the four string. One of the few rock bassists who turned his intrument into a lead instrument, soloing along with the guitar vs. just keeping the bottom. He also did that too, by the way. That is why musicians like Squire, Entwistle, Jack Bruce, Paul McCartney and even Sting in the Police days are so much more impressive to me that a flashy lead guitar player. They've got the flash and step out and solo, yet also perform the crucial duties of the traditional bass player. And they do it on thicker strings that are less forgiving and with fewer options to use on their musical canvas.

Any listener of Yes' music knows the importance of Squire to their sound. The obituaries have all rightly pointed out that Squire is the only member of that band to play on every single studio record, from their debut in 1968 to last year's release. Squire not only played bass, he also co-wrote many of their songs and sang the wonderful harmony vocals that were so important to the Yes sound (and not talked about enough). He was the lynchpin of the Yes universe.

But going back to that bass playing. Along with probably Entwistle and Bruce, Squire took bass playing further than anyone else in rock, post-McCartney. He would often play with a distorted, overdrive sound that made it more like a guitar at times, allowing it to stand out while soloing.

BELOW: This is one of Squire's signature tunes with Yes, "The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)." Other than the drums and some vocalizing near the end, every sound comes from Squire's basses. Turn it up and really listen, you can hear some great, overlapping bass tracks that create the whole piece.

10 comments:

ANCIANT said...

Sorry to be that guy, but the math teacher in me has been awoken.

The odds of them both dying on the same date would actually be 1/365 * 1/365, or 1/133,225.

But otherwise, a nice piece. I always thought Squire was the best bassist to ever play. Or, put it another way: his bass lines were the ones I most admired. And I agree with you entirely about his vocals--a too-underrated part of his talents.

Oddly, I was listening to "Big Generator" only last week. Not Yes's crowning achievement, but I love it still. Shoot High, Aim Low...

Dezmond said...

"Oh. I was told that there would be no math." See, this is why I teach History. Your numbers make it sound even more impressive, though. I don't know why Squire wasn't mentioned as much as John Entwistle or Jack Bruce. He was right there with them, I agree. I'm a fan of 'Big Generator' too. Didn't you tell me once that you went to a Ye show from that tour in Houston, around 1988? If you go to iTunes, you can download a fantastic four CD collection of live Yes from many eras, and there are several cuts from a 1988 Houston show, which I am guessing you were at? Anyway, there is a killer version of "Shoot High, Aim Low" from Houston 1988 that I listen to often. I assume it is still there on iTunes, the set was called 'The Word Is Live.'

ANCIANT said...

I don't think I did go to that tour. I mean, I should remember, I know. But I don't remember seeing that tour. I wish I had.

I saw Yes a few times, but it was in the post-Union days (I also saw Anderson Buford Wakeman Howe at the Woodlands, which was a great show). I listened to Classic Yes a lot yesterday--made my wife listen to it too. She was not so excited by it. But I will get that live Yes thing. I see there's a also a newish collection of live shows from 1972, where they play the same set every night and you can compare the way it changes from night to night.

JMW said...

"'She Was Not So Excited By It': The Story of Yes"

ANCIANT said...

That is funny, JMW.

Yes, art rock doesn't seem to typically awaken much interest in the trembling bosoms of the gentler sex. I remember a few years ago when I'd just bought the live Fripp/Sylvian album "Damage." I put it on for my wife during a long drive we were making back from San Diego. I didn't tell her anything about it, and I didn't have it turned up or anything--it was just on in the background, unobtrusively not hurting anybody. But she noticed it. I believe her exact words were along the lines of "What the hell is THIS?"

Dezmond said...

Why is that? That women, by and large, don't enjoy the more challenging and complex genres?

Dezmond said...

Well, women and JMW.

ANCIANT said...

Because of their less-developed brains, maybe?

Dezmond said...

That must be it.

Saxo Philologus said...

Thanks for this post, Dez. Squire's solo album 'Fish out of Water' is also really good, and shows off how strong a singer he is. 'Close to the Edge' (greatest song ever? Probably) came on the radio one time when Mrs. Saxo and I were driving around. She did not enjoy it.