Thursday, October 9, 2014

2015 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Today is one of my favorite days of the year – the nominees for next year’s class in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame were announced.

Overall, this is a pretty eclectic list of nominees. You can tell that they are finally letting go of the 60’s and 70’s and moving into the 80’s and 90’s. You have the potential, for the first time probably, to have a class entirely comprised of artists who were in their prime in the 80’s or after.

There is also a “fan’s ballot” again this year. If you go to the Rockhall and Museum’s website (link on the side) or Rolling Stone magazine’s website, you can cast your votes. The top five in the fan voting will be one ballot in the voting amongst the Hall inductees, music insiders and critics who vote. Basically one in about 500 ballots. Still fun, though.

Recall that the rules are as follows: you are eligible 25 years after your first record or single. The criteria is allegedly innovation, influence and “musical excellence.” Whatever that is in rock and roll.

I would say that all but one of these nominees have a good argument for eventual induction, if not this year. And I like the one who shouldn’t be there, I just don’t think they are quite Hall of Fame material, that’s all.

So here they are. After the list, I will tell you what my “fan ballot” looked like and then give you my actual prediction.
In alphabetical order…

Paul Butterfield Blues Band: One of the few 60’s era artists in this group, they are clearly somebody’s pet project on the Nominating Committee, as they appear every several years or so. I am a fan and a great admirer of their sophomore effort, East-West (the title track is groundbreaking). Butterfield was a great singer and harp player, guitarist Michael Bloomfield was one of those genius junkie stories in the music’s lore. The bi-racial composition of the band at a time when that was unusual was bold and their adherence to Chicago blues roots plus bringing it forward with rock and roll energy and unusual experimentation all make them worthy in my book. Not a chance of induction this year, though.

Chic: Somebody REALLY wants them in. If I am not mistaken, they now hold the record for the most nominations at nine. Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards are both hugely important figures, as producers as well as musicians. They were one of the better dance/disco groups, and excellent musicians as well. Hall-worthy, sure. But if they have not been selected by the voters eight times previous, I don’t see that changing with a ninth nomination.

Green Day: This is the first year of eligibility for them, and I think they are a shoo-in. I am not a fan, but they are a critical darling (leftie manifesto American Idiot sealed the deal for many, I am sure). The Hall loves the punk ethos, and then when they get arty on top of that. I don’t argue against their credentials.

Joan Jett & the Blackhearts: I dig Joan Jett. She is supercool and rocks. I just don’t think she is Hallworthy. No innovation. Several of her biggest hits were rockified covers or songs written for her by others (good songs, I love her “Crimson and Clover” cover and “Light of Day” was written for her by Bruce Springsteen). Influence? I think she influenced female rockers more with her attitude and look vs. the actual music. Is that enough? But as the only woman on the ballot (other than Chic’s singers, but Chic is more about Rodgers and Edwards), she has a good shot at getting in.

Kraftwerk: The most influential artist in this whole group? Good argument for it. They are basically ground zero for modern synth and electronic music. Krautrock gods. The only problem is that many people have never heard of them. Those that have heard of them have only heard of them, but not actually heard their music. I don’t think they will make it, but they are probably the most deserving of all of these nominees. On a scale of 1 to 10, their influence is at 11, their innovation is a 10 and musical excellence up there as well.

The Marvelettes: Not as big as, say, The Supremes or Martha and the Vandellas, but they were also an important Motown girl group. In fact, they had Motown’s first number one hit, “Please Mr. Postman.” I would never say that any of Motown’s first tier (or second tier, on which the Marvelettes reside, as all of Motown’s first tier acts have long since been inducted) don’t deserve induction. They do. I doubt they will make it this year, though.

Nine Inch Nails: aka Trent Reznor. Another first year eligible nominee. Reznor’s induction chances this year are less certain than Green Day’s, though. He/they are a definite eventual inductee. Out of all of these nominees, I probably know the least about their music. But by reputation, I figure they are worthy.

NWA: Like them or not, repelled by them or inspired by them, you cannot deny their importance. As far as influence, I think they are second only to Kraftwerk in that department amongst these nominees. Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Eazy-E, MC Wren, DJ Yella…these guys defined gangsta rap in the 1990’s. And this induction would go to honor Dre and Cube for their later work as well, probably. Dre is perhaps the most important rap producer ever, and Cube was one of the most talented and provocative rappers in this violent subgenre. Uncompromising and controversial, it is clear that the Nominating Committee (or some members of it) want them in, as they didn’t nominate any rap/hip hop competition this time around to split votes. I think they make it in this time and definitely deserve it.

Lou Reed: Already in as a member of Velvet Underground, if he gets in for his solo work he’d be a two time inductee. He was nominated once many years ago, I bet they gave him another shot due to his death earlier this year. Nothing raises your profile like dying. But I say he clearly deserves induction for his solo work. One of the most uncompromising, challenging, and interesting rock artists of the last 40 years, Lou has done it all. I would love to see him get in, but I’m not sure he will in this competition.

The Smiths: YES! One of my main complaints about the Hall has been their dismissal of the 80’s in general as a worthy period in music (they love the 60’s and 70’s, and seem to want to leapfrog the 80’s and get right to the 90’s), but slowly they have started to acknowledge the decade. The Cure were nominated a couple of years ago, last year saw a surprise nomination for The Replacements (neither were inducted). Here is another absolutely essential 80’s group. How fun would it be to have this year’s Rockhall fight be Morrissey vs. his former bandmates? I’m afraid, though, they will meet the same fate as The Cure and Replacements and not make it in.

The Spinners: Look, I’m not going to complain about any important R&B artist nominations, as this genre (and blues) are so much in the DNA of rock and roll. Daryl Hall, in his acceptance speech last year for Hall & Oates, admonished the Hall for generally overlooking Philly Soul, and The Spinners nomination may be a response to that. Love this group, but I doubt they get in.

Sting: Hmm. This is tough. He is already in with The Police, so this would be solely for his solo work. I mean, how do you deal with this? His first four solo records (I’m including the live Bring on the Night) were brilliant and daring in their way in that he made a real break from The Police’s sound and forged his own identity. But then? Horrible, saccharine, generic, lazy (especially considering his abilities) work. I find his work from Ten Summoner’s Tales forward infuriating. I guess I wouldn’t be upset if he got in (The Police are one of my favorite bands and his early solo work I adore), but he needs to be punished severely for most of the 90’s and beyond.

Stevie Ray Vaughan: FINALLY! It is ridiculous that this is his first nomination. Year after year he appears near the top of most “biggest snubs” lists. He almost singlehandedly revived blues as a vital musical form in the 80’s and set it on a healthy track for beyond. He also influenced a generation of guitar players. Who doesn’t love this guy? Even if you don’t listen to him much anymore. But do you notice that his name looks a little odd there? A little bare and lonely? Where is the "& double Trouble?" I find it odd and dumb that his crucial band Double Trouble was not nominated with him, especially in light of the Rockhall righting past wrongs over the last several years with inducting backing bands like Springsteen’s E Street Band, James Brown’s Famous Flames, Smokey Robinson’s Miracles, etc. years after their leaders were inducted. I mean, Double Trouble (Chris Layton, Tommy Shannon and Reese Wynans) were essential to SRV’s sound. If Stevie were still alive, I think he would demand that his band go in with him, he wouldn’t be happy with going in alone. I always said that when they finally get around to nominating him that he’d be a sure thing, and I don’t see any direct competition this year, so I say he definitely gets in.

War: Great group that melded soul, rock and latin sounds in the 70’s. I especially like their shortlived collaborations with Eric Burdon. A longshot for induction this year.

Bill Withers: Nice. Fairly eccentric artist who walked away from the industry before he needed to. He is as respected as a singer-songwriter as he is an R&B artist, and wrote some fantastic, funky and lasting songs. Wouldn’t mind seeing him go in at all, and I’m a little surprised that this is only his first nomination.

So there they are, your nominees for the class of 2015. Assuming there will be five inductees this year…

Dez’s Ballot:

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Kraftwerk
The Smiths
Lou Reed
NWA or Sting
: I cannot decide yet on my final slot. I don’t listen to NWA much, but they are hugely important. See my Sting discussion above.

Dez’s Predictions:

Stevie Ray Vaughan
Green Day
NWA
Lou Reed
Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
(I hope I’m wrong here)

What do you think? Predictions?

6 comments:

JMW said...

I love your Hall geekery so much, as you know.

I think you have a problem with females getting in. First with Linda Ronstadt last year and now Joan Jett. Is Joan Jett a genius? No. But were many of the people in the Hall? Who embodies female empowerment in rock more than Joan? You ask if that's enough, and I say it is -- along with some killer songs and attitude. She's not a favorite of mine, but it's weird to take everyone else so seriously and shrug her off like that.

My personal favorites among this group are the Smiths, Lou Reed and Bill Withers. Funny points about Sting, but he'll undoubtedly be in eventually, if not this year.

Dezmond said...

I don't think I have a "female problem." I just still think Linda Ronstadt is a weak inductee and while I really like Joan Jett, I don't think she meets the criteria. You make a good point (and I agree) that she is somewhat of an icon for tough, gritty females in rock, but again, I think you have to go back to the music itself.

How influential, innovative and "musically excellent" is the music? NO innovation. Which is fine, but it is meat and potatoes hard rock. Plus many of her hits were covers that she toughened up or written for her by others. Influence? Again, very influential with her look and attitude, not so much with her actual music. That is a big problem for me. Musical excellence (the most subjective of the Hall's criteria)? Yeah, she rocks, but only a handful of her songs are really lasting or worth repeat listenings. You can have a "Best of" album for her and still need filler to fill it out.

I say "no." Not because she's a chick. But because she is not worthy. And I still like her. I also love Men at Work, but I do not argue that they deserve induction. Do I have an "Australian problem?"

ANCIANT said...

Men at Work DO deserve induction!

Man do I find Stevie Ray Vaughan hard to listen to. The myth of Stevie...does not appeal to me. At least when Clapton was bringing blues into the white mainstream he was a pioneer. Stevie Ray was just..bleh.

I have no opinions about Joan Jett. But surely it's not hard to find lesser acts who've gotten in, right?

I'm not sure, w/r/t Sting, that bad albums at the end of a career matter. I mean, they all put out bad albums at the end of their careers, right?

JMW said...

I've taken a while to respond because I'm stunned that Dez doesn't argue Men at Work deserve induction. In fact, I wonder if that's just a useful ruse for the purposes of his Jett position.

Actually, Dez, you make good points about Joan. But honestly, anyone who wants KISS in might as well just take the hinges off the door and let in anyone who's ever tapped his foot.

I know that Stevie Ray can shred a guitar. And that he definitely belongs based on the people already in. But like ANCIANT, I'm bored by him. I would never listen to an album.

Dez makes a good point about Sting, which is that we're now past the 20-year mark of cheesy stuff. That's a lot.

Dezmond said...

On SRV, I understand that he is not for everyone. First and foremost, he did more than just shred on guitar. He played with both a passion and concentrated fire combined with some stunning technique combined with an unmistakeable tone, using both the traditional language, riffs and styles of classic electric blues while forging ahead with them. It was pretty remarkable, really, considering where blues was when SRV hit the scene. He revived the genre for the 1980's and later. Even I rarely listen to record of his from start to finish, but cherry picking songs and moments is easy and rewarding.

Taking the criteria: on innovation, I give him a 7 here. While playing in a traditional genre (and never really leaving it), at the same time he injected a modern energy and took the playing of the genre to a new level. Strictly within electric blues guitar playing, nobody could touch him. Being at the top of a certain genre is worth something. Occasionally, he really did produce innovative hybrids of blues and rock: "Couldn't Stand the Weather," "Crossfire," "Tightrope," his transformative cover of "Cold Shot."

On influence, I go with an 8. Not so much on his songs, but on his guitar playing influence on other guitar players...immense.

Musical excellence is always the wild card, but he has a lot of top notch electric blues music, and even the genre exercises that bore listeners like ANCIANT and JMW is never bad. 7.

ANCIANT, sure there are lesser inductees than Joan Jett. But that still does not mean that they need to make another mistake. Just because Percy Sledge is in does not stand to reason that he is the bar.

JMW, all joking aside and while realizing that their music (and especially lyrics) are incredibly juvenile, KISS deserved induction due to their 70's heyday in influencing the industry and also for 'Live Alive' and how that live record transformed the industry in many ways. Their work since the 70's is pretty unlistenable. Which I know contradicts my next point about Sting...

ANCIANT, if the bulk of Sting's solo career (over 20 years vs. seven great years) is as bad as Sting's has been, I think he needs to be passed over, especially considering the other candidates. It pains me to say that, since I really do LOVE his first four records.

Great article at Diffuser entitled "Does the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Really Need Two Stings?" addressing this exact issue, comparing the Police Sting with Solo Sting. It is hard to remember this time, but the article points out that at one time: "Everybody thought Sting was cool, no matter what kind of music they were into. I’m convinced you could’ve sat down with the Pope in 1978 and he’d tell you, 'I am just a humble monk who knows nothing of this modern and confusing world … but Sting rocks.'” But now Sting is about as uncool as they come with the kids. His solo career is more associated with music a suburban mom would have in her minivan and lute music. Which is not as offensive as "Let Your Soul Be Your Pilot."

Dezmond said...

Forgot to post the link to the Diffuser article: http://diffuser.fm/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-sting/

It is worth reading.