Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Basketball Draft



Well, thank Tebow that we will have some NBA basketball afterall. Not least of all because A. my father-in-law gets his 4th row Spurs season package that I am frequently the beneficiary of, and B. I can play fantasy basketball again with my group that I have played with for about seven years now.

We had our draft over the weekend, and I got first pick! I've never had that before, in fact I have always been near the end of the draft (which is not a bad thing considering how the draft order goes). I got the #1 pick, but that also means, since we have 11 people, my next picks were #'s 22 and 23. I think it was basically a toss-up on whether to pick Jebron Lames or Kevin Durant, but since I can't stand Lames, I was happy to pick Durant. The rest of the first round went: Lames, Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, Kevin Love, Dwayne Wade, Pau Gasol, Dwight Howard, Stephen Curry, Dirk Nowitzki and Al Jefferson. First time in a long time that Kobe wasn't a first rounder. It is a roto scoring league, and the categories we use are: points, three pointers, shooting %, free throw %, assists, rebounds, blocks, steals and turnovers (as a negative, obviously).

My next two picks were Blake Griffin and John Wall. With Chris Paul now feeding Griffin the ball on the Clippers, that should be awesome. I also feel that Wall will blow up this year. He has his rookie year behind him and he was hurt a bit last year, so he is ready to be the stud everyone expects him to be.

The rest of my team rounds out with Joe Johnson (ready to redeem himself after the last two seasons, Crawford's departure from the Hawks helps), Marcin Gortat, DeAndre Jordan (who was outstanding in that preseason stomping of the Lakers, like with Griffin, with Chris Paul running the point he should benefit), Wesley Matthews, Aaron Aflalo, Jeff Teague (a sleeper who could blow up), Sam Dalembert (here's hoping he signs with Houston!), and with Omri Casspi, Jordan Crawford and Ramon Sessions sitting on my bench.

With that line-up, I think assists will be one of my main problems.

Like the team?

1 comment:

JMW said...

That looks like a pretty good team. I skipped fantasy hoops this year. We'll see if I regret that. Because of the bizarre offseason, I didn't realize the Mavs had let Barea go as well as Chandler. That's a killer. Those were not just two of my favorite three players on the team last year, but both were a big part of why the team was so good in the end. Huge losses. Stupid of Cuban to let them both go.