Friday, August 26, 2011

Told You So

This is cool. I was just flipping through the excellent Neil Young biography by Jimmy McDonough, Shakey, and came across a reference to the Houston show that I discussed in my write-up below for Neil. Recall how I said that it was the loudest show I had ever attended. Evidently I'm not the only one. McDonough quoted a friend of his who attended that same show in '89. From the book: "It was total mayhem, and McFarlin was in heaven. Glued in front of [Neil's] amp in Houston, he said it was the loudest show he's ever heard Young play. 'He split my brain open. His guitar was just deafening. You could actually see the sound waves.'" My memory of the show is similar. I recall leaving the show and looking at my friend Johannes, who had a somewhat dazed look on his face. It was like we had just been assaulted by Neil's rock and roll.

4 comments:

Johannes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Yes! I have a vivid memory of that show. It was actually my first real rock concert. I remember being entranced by his beautiful acoustic set, and then melted to slag by his electric set. We were pretty close too. There was a wall of speakers right in front of us at the music hall, no namby pamby ceiling hung system. I remember the rocking yuppie you referenced, and the expression on Neil's face as he detonated his classics all over the place. I also remember how rapturous you were and drunk on this startling onslaught of sound. The whole experience was fairly surreal for a newbie like me.

You introduced me to real rock and roll in 6th Grade when we started with hanging out and you'd lecture me on rock history and DJ your weird non-CD/tape vinyl albums of Yes, and the Who, and what not. You would press compilation after compilation tapes into my hands, complete with liner notes. I still have some today, though don't own a tape deck. I'd probably be listening to Michael Bolton and Kenny Chesney right now if not for you Des. Thank you, Des, for Rock and Roll.

Johannes

Dezmond said...

Brings a tear to my eye, Johannes. That was a special show, it really was. My ears were ringing for days afterwards.

ANCIANT said...

Wait--are you saying Kenny Chesney isn't rock and roll?

It's all falling apart!