Friday, July 29, 2011

Dez's Top Rock/Pop Artists, #11: Jeff Beck

The Greatest

I’ve written of Jeff Beck’s greatness many times over the years here at GNABB. I have tried to explain in words why he is the greatest living rock guitarist. What else can I say that I haven’t already? Two snapshots…

1989.
Double bill Jeff Beck / Stevie Ray Vaughan show in Houston. I am at the show with a decidedly un-rock and roll group, my parents, older brother and one of my oldest friends. SRV had the opening slot, and was predictably great. Even casual music listeners could easily grasp that this guy was a special musician. He was also such a friendly and engaging performer, gracious and giving us the requisite between song banter. Then came Jeff Back and his group. I don’t think he ever said a word to the audience (SRV had an advantage there in that he was also a singer, whereas Beck has generally always been strictly a guitar player). I recall thinking at the end of the show that SRV had bested Beck in the duel of guitar pyrotechnics (at the time, I was a huge SRV fan and only a casual admirer of Beck). I also remember having this nagging feeling that SRV may have been the more obviously impressive, but Beck’s music was a lot more interesting.

2001.
A large club in downtown Austin that is actually just a warehouse (there are no seats, just a concrete floor for people to stand on.) I got a ticket to the Jeff Beck show, and I am stoked. I have grown into a Jeff Beck fanatic since that ’89 show. I got there early, so was able to stake out a spot front and center at the stage. (I remember some chick trying to edge her way in front of me during the show, and I planted my feet, not letting her by. She was pissed. Too bad, my spot.) Just like 12 years earlier, Beck did not say a word to the audience the entire show. In fact, there was not even a microphone on the stage for him to use if he had wanted to. But his manner was warm and fun, he had a permanent grin on his face, and seemed to be enjoying himself immensely, giving us exaggerated rock god poses that were clearly tongue in cheek (no wonder the Nigel Tufnel character from 'This Is Spinal Tap' was based primarily on Beck). This show was a revelation. After this show the possibilities of the guitar were forever expanded from what I previously understood. I left with the firm belief that this was the greatest guitarist that I had ever (or would ever) see. See my many previous posts as to why.


ABOVE: I may have posted this before, but it is a lovely rendition of The Beatles's "A Day In the Life." If you look closely, you can see Jimmy Page in the audience.

What To Listen To:
Beck's discography is spotty and has many gaps from when he decided to set his music career aside in exchange for his other passion, restoring old cars. His work with The Yardbirds is by far the most groundbreaking when compared to their Eric Clapton-era and Jimmy Page-era. The Yardbirds Ultimate! is a great two disc compilation covering all three eras. The first two Jeff Beck Group records, Truth and Beck-Ola, feature the most celebrated line-up (Rod Stewart on vocals, Nicky Hopkins on piano, Ron Wood on bass) and are rightfully considered landmark hard rock, blues-based records that were templates for countless 70’s rock bands to follow. Blow By Blow is a near perfect jazz/rock fusion record. Follow-up Wired is only slightly less great, but it has a harder edge to it. I have posted a full analysis of the confounding Jeff Beck’s Guitar Shop. I love it, but it takes some attention to appreciate its charms. Starting in 1999, Beck had a renaissance in creativity that is still going strong today. Who Else! and You Had It Coming are the best records from this latest phase. Live at Ronnie Scott’s give you the best taste of Beck live. He has some compilations, but they are not the best introductions, and none feature anything from his most recent resurgence.

No comments: