Sunday, October 18, 2009

Fantasy Basketball Draft '09

Just finished my yearly ritual of sitting in front of my computer for hours in my Dikembe Mutombo Rockets jersey participating in my Fantasy Basketball draft. I've been playing in this league for about 5 or 6 years now with these other 10 guys. I've got to say that I'm pretty damn happy with my team this year. For those in the fantasy know, we play a rotisserie league that counts points, threes, rebounds, blocks, steals, assists, turnovers, field goal % and free throw %.

I ended up getting the 7th pick (out of 11 players) for the first round, and I picked Danny Granger. That is ridiculous that he was still available at the 7th pick. In my view he should be 4th or 5th (toss up between Granger and Durant at those spots). Granger doesn't have the name recognition of Lebron or Wade, but as far as fantasy numbers go, he is almost as valuable as they come. He basically is the Pacers offense. Last season he averaged over 2 threes a game and 1.5 blocks per game! That is a crazy combo. He averaged almost 26 points a game last season and was playing injured. So that should go up, if anything.


ABOVE: My pick in the first round this season was Danny Granger

After that, my picks went in this order through the rounds: Chauncey Billups (freakin' Deron Williams was picked two spots ahead of my second pick...argh!), Gerald Wallace, Kevin Martin, Andrew Bynum (I'm a bit nervous about picking him, but it was the fifth round and I needed a center), Al Horford (very happy getting him here in the 6th round), Andre Miller, Wilson Chandler (he should be fun to own this year), Luol Deng, Shaq (he will be on my bench most of the season, but this late in the draft, why the hell not? Maybe last season wasn't a fluke, and he will have Lebron feeding him passes), Andrei Kirelenko, Courtney Lee and Yi Jianlian (who I promptly dropped after the draft and picked up Antonio McDyess off the wire in his place).

So, what do you think? I'm pretty happy with the team considering 11 of us were picking in the draft.

5 comments:

JMW said...

I like Danny Granger, but you maybe overstate your case. A group of four ESPN fantasy guys (I never use the term "expert" about fantasy sports -- it's asinine) have Granger at #19 in their rankings. I think that's low, but I think 7 is high. I also think Billups is a little risky in the second round at his age.

I don't mean to dump on your draft, though. It looks like you have plenty of scoring. Shaq will hurt your FT% even if he does have a big year. I love Al Horford, especially where you got him, and it looks like you didn't get any duds. Everyone should contribute.

Good luck. I'm still waiting to hear when my draft is.

Grandes Cigarro said...

OT: Hey Dez... check it out http://www.fileitunder.com/2009/10/rofl.html

Dezmond said...

That's ridiculous. All of the experts I looked at had him between #4-8.Shaq's probably going to be on my bench.

Dezmond said...

And I've already had some trade offers for Grnager. He will have a big year and he is definitely top 10.

dre said...

I can't really comment on fantasy basketball. My dad and I have been in our fantasy football league for 21 years. We're 4-2 so far this season. Matt Schaub is our QB. We're never won our league in all those years. Wouldn't it be hilarious if we finally won with a Houston QB?