Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Etta Knows the 'Real Shit'

As you might guess, I read liner notes for albums/CDs religiously. They are generally puff pieces for the artists, but sometimes there is great stuff there. I recently purchased The Definitive Collection by Etta James (my wife and I used her "At Last" for our first dance at our wedding). Etta co-wrote the liner notes, commenting on each tune. One of my favorite quotes is Etta's assessment of her performance of the Otis Redding classic "I've Been Loving You Too Long": "That's one of my best [tracks]. When it comes to love and feelings, this is the real shit - all the way."


ABOVE: Etta James delivers only the highest quality, vintage 'real shit'

2 comments:

Le Chat said...

I've never heard Etta's version of "I've Been Loving You Too Long" but I can guess it's amazing. I saw her at the Monterey Blues Festival about 15 years ago, and she was incredible live.

As an aside, I really enjoy your blog...

Dezmond said...

Thanks, le chat.